Photos from Costa Rica - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Travel Photos & Videos!

Travel Photos & Videos! Misc. photos of Tpunks. D'oh!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

Default Photos from Costa Rica

Hey guy we managed to post some photos of the farm and the area we're staying in. Dont mind the underlining for some reason my computer at the cafe is being weird. Anywho the pics are at this pageš:

http://aprosceno.myphotoalbum.com

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Ahh it's so lush! The spider is intensely scary, and I LOVE the political Mickey Mouse. I also am a fan of taking foreign graffiti pictures.

Thanks for posting them!!!
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

Loved the pics... you've totally made me wanna go back to CR. so amazing there

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

you're living a dream. i'm so jealous of where you are staying (minus the spider). the solitude must be wonderful.

thanks for posting the pics amber.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

The solitude is great...although we only work Mon thru Sat from 7am to noon so the rest of the time we read, eat, or explore. The farm is a 20 min walk from the road, and then another 10 to the nearest village, so its really quiet. We go into San Isidro a lot on the bus through because you can only read and stuff your face full of beans, rice and ramen so much before you get bored! Oh, we've been eating a lot because we're pretty much eating vegetarian here and the only protein we get is beans and the bugs that always fly into our food so we are always hungry. But small price to pay for living in paradise! :D

Glad ya'll liked the pictures!!

blog of travels and such
flickr

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
Old 07-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
DrGonzo
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
I LOVE the political Mickey Mouse. I also am a fan of taking foreign graffiti pictures.
yea, i agree! there was SO much political graffiti in san jose. its funny though, cause the costa rican people themselves are very nice, and curious people. they have no problem at all with starting a conversation with you, so i kno they dont like americans themselves persay, but they really dont like america as a whole. they just dont like the policies there. which is definitely understandable cause it effects them! but yea, sorry for that rant, the graffiti is rad! :D

"People who will not use their intelligence are no better than animals who do not have intelligence. Such people are beasts of burden and steaks on the table by choice and consent."

Last edited by blinkchick2134; 07-02-2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Fixing the quotes
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
jengt
Hiked the Inca Trail

The pics are great! I'm glad you two are enjoying your stay there. I especially love your exitement about cows & horses!

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
TERI
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

Those pics are soooo awesome guys! I'm sooo happy to see what a good time you're having.

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

are ya'll taking vitamins to supplement your diet so that you don't get sick? a diet of beans, rice and ramen, can't be very nutritionally sound.

and please, rant chris. it's nice to hear what is actually going on in the world. sometimes, without much travel out of the US, i start to feel like i'm living in a rose tinted world with no real perception of what is really happening. especially since there aren't many media sources out there that aren't leaning one way or another.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

argh that spider is horrible!!!

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlotteDorian View Post
are ya'll taking vitamins to supplement your diet so that you don't get sick? a diet of beans, rice and ramen, can't be very nutritionally sound.
I did something similar in Europe (I was eating bread all the time) and I ended up losing a lot of weight (40 pounds) in about 10 weeks). I think I started to lose some hair because of the rapid weight loss and my protein deficiency. Just something to keep in mind.

--Joey

Btw the spider is freaky but the other photos of the river are great!

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #12
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

That spider was nothing compared to the foot-long earthworm we discovered digging up a garden bed. We first though it was a snake but we asked Frank, half the couple that owns the farm, and he said it was just a big worm. This thing was a foot long (if not more) and as thick as your finger.

And Beth, Frank recommened a good site: http://www.guerrillanews.com/

blog of travels and such
flickr

Old 07-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
DrGonzo
Members

well thanks for compliment beth! im definitely a ranter of sorts. im one of those that some call a "conspiracy theorist" but thats for another thread and another day. if ya ever wanna rant though, feel free to PM me, and ill inform of ya some pretty alarming stuff about the american nation.

and for all those people that think that spider is nasty, i would honestly much rather deal with them than the ants that bite you!!

"People who will not use their intelligence are no better than animals who do not have intelligence. Such people are beasts of burden and steaks on the table by choice and consent."
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #14
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

nice!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlotteDorian View Post
Oh man, gallo pinto was one of my favorite parts of CR! I love beans & rice and beans are what I normally eat at home, anyways.

It's actually pretty nutritious too. Beans are high in protein and fiber. Rice is carbs. All you have to do is add some fat (nuts, olive oil, etc), leafy greens (for blood alkalizing) and some fruits for vitamins and you're good.

And the CR actually has a lot of other cool dishes based on their natural vegetation, so I really enjoyed their cuisine there. In general, far less meaty and greasy than here.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #16
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

We uploaded a few new ones:

A good size river crab that happened upon our cabin!

Cloe, Sue's kitty!

blog of travels and such
flickr

Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

rock on dudes. Rock on. Ya'll need to post some more pics!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #18
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

Okay here's some more pictures:

A "Tico washer", basically a wash with a spinner at the bottom and then a centrifuge (sp?) to the right.

One of the fields on the walk to the road from the farm

The rains rolling in over the mountains (also on the walk to the road from the farm)

One of the gardens (mainly decorative plants in this one), the tarp is covering a compost pile

On the patio of the cabin

The view of the valley we live in (you can't see the farther mtns because of the clouds), the road we walk from the farm is in line with the first group of tree at the bottom of the hill.

blog of travels and such
flickr

Old 07-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #19
jengt
Hiked the Inca Trail

Great photos Amber. That washer looks "interesting"! (I'll stick with my boring old Kenmore though.)

You & Chris seem to be having a great time. Glad things are going well.

Jenny

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #20
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Great pics guys!!! The spider is freakin me out. I can deal with ants, foot long worms, giant snakes.....but not spiders. Anyway, glad to see you guys are having a blast and living it up. Hope when you come back we can have a post-trip meetup, it was great to see you guys in Columbus...cant beleive how the time flies!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote