Venice and Rome - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Western

Europe: Western Cafés, castles, architecture, art, wine, the Euro, gastronomy, let´s meet up, and pub crawls.! Oh oui, backpackers paradise...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
eastern_coast
Members

Default Venice and Rome

Going to Italy for the first time. Staying a few nights at Hostel Des Artistes in Rome, and staying in Venice a week or so, but haven't chosen a hostel yet. I'd just like to hear the experiences people here have had in these cities, where you went, what your experience with the locals was etc. Any kind of dvice is welcome.
eastern_coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Esterina
french touch

I didn't have the chance to go in either of them, I'll let the expert answer. Just wanted to welcome you aboard !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern_coast View Post
Going to Italy for the first time. Staying a few nights at Hostel Des Artistes in Rome, and staying in Venice a week or so, but haven't chosen a hostel yet. I'd just like to hear the experiences people here have had in these cities, where you went, what your experience with the locals was etc. Any kind of dvice is welcome.
As Esther says, welcome! Venice appears to be lacking hostels and is overloaded with "Bed and Breakfasts". So I would suggest saving a bit more money for a Venice hotel (if you are adventurous, you can camp / hang out at a train station) or just commute from Milan. I found a day (8 hours) there to be almost enough the only issue with that is that you can't spend late evenings there.

Have fun on your trip!

--Joey

Edit: I just saw that you were spending a week in Venice (I had a little dyslexia and thought you were in Rome for a week and Venice for a few days). I suggest devoting more time to Rome and Tuscany

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation

Last edited by joe7f; 06-15-2007 at 11:05 AM.
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
bakwoi

I did the campgrounds when I went to Venice. It seems to be where all the hostel people goto so its pretty fun. They got cabins that you stay in, not tents, and the one i stayed at (i dont remember the name) had a nice bar in it which had good nightlife since Venice didnt seem to have much itself.

I agree with Joe that a week in Venice is a bit much. You can only get lost in the maze of streets so many times before you just wanna jump in the canals .

florence is also a nice city thats right inbetween Rome and Venice that you might wanna check out.
bakwoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

i havent been yet but heard the 'plus' campgrounds in italy are great so might be worth a goggle
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
hurr111
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakwoi View Post
I did the campgrounds when I went to Venice. It seems to be where all the hostel people goto so its pretty fun. They got cabins that you stay in, not tents, and the one i stayed at (i dont remember the name) had a nice bar in it which had good nightlife since Venice didnt seem to have much itself.
How easy was it getting into the city from these? I never thought of looking into something like this. I think I am only staying in Venice one night, but saving any cash would be worth it.
hurr111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
bakwoi

it was really easy...they had a bus that stopped close to the train station in Venice that took you to and from the campground. It left like every hour to make the trip and took like 10 min. They did charge for the bus but it was only a few euro.
bakwoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
hurr111
Members

Cool thanks for the info.
hurr111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:44 AM   #9
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

i have spent a week in venice on two seperate holidays and i really enjoyed myself...a lot of backpackers think its far too long and i guess that's because we backpackers get sick of spending money on overpriced food and accommodation, and venice is expensive... i have only ever done italy on family holidays so i wasnt picking up the bill, which probably explains why i enjoyed it so much! don't go on a gondola unless its been a lifelong dream of yours, catch the No. 1 vaporetti (is that even what they're called? the public transport boat thingys) it's a cheap grand canal tour. and buy the venice card to save some money
Old 06-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliz View Post
i have spent a week in venice on two seperate holidays and i really enjoyed myself...a lot of backpackers think its far too long and i guess that's because we backpackers get sick of spending money on overpriced food and accommodation, and venice is expensive...
All of that is true, but more than the finances if you have limited time in Italy, it seems like Venice should only be a couple of days in order to see Cinque Terra, Milan, Sienna, Florence, Rome, Naples and the rest.

However, if Venice is a true lifelong dream destination for you, plan on a week. You can absorb every inch of it, take in concerts, roam aimlessly (and leisurely) through the town but for the average person I would recommend no more than 3 days. Traveling is a highly individualistic experience. What works for one person may not work for another (which is one of the reasons I love going solo so much!)

If you aren't that sure, then maybe you should plan on three days, and then leave the next four open. Then if you want to experience more, simply stay, if you have had enough move on to another wonderful city.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:56 AM   #11
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

It's a long held belief of mine that Venice is the most beautiful city in the world. I love it...however, I've never spent more than 3 days there. You will be able to find a week's worth of stuff to do, though, I'm betting. You could make it to a couple of the other islands, like Lido (sp?). Anyway, the thing I tell everyone is -- despite the expense -- you MUST spend at least a couple nights in Venice proper. The city is so, so much different after the day trippers have gone home. Quiet, lovely...so worth it.

It IS expensive, though....

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #12
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I have to second wwm - late nights and early mornings in venice are magical - though midday in the summer is closer to hellish. After 9 or 10 at night, and before 8 in the morning, all the daytrippers and tour buses are gone and you can wander quiet streets listening to locals enjoy their family meals and vendors selling their wares to local patrons - much more authentic and pleasant than the souvenir stalls and tourists along the Grand Canal. Getting lost in the back "streets" is essential. Be careful, though, a friend of ours was there recently, lost his glasses and fell into a canal. The guys that pulled him out said it happens all the time. We were there with four little kids and all managed to stay topside, but it pays to watch your step!

Ditto the vaporetti instead of the gondolas. The view from the 1,60 Euro vaporetti deck is the same as from the 60 Euro gondola ride - plus, from the vaporetti, you get awesome photos of other people in gondolas!

Enjoy.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote