Leaving in 2 days!!! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
lemlern
Members

Default Leaving in 2 days!!!

So I have a few last minute panicky questions that I hope someone can ease my mind about.

1. Anyone fly American Airlines and managed to carry on a slightly larger bag than the "standards" for carry on? I have a 50" linear backpack that of course is below the weight limit but is 5" too big for the linear measurement (height x width x length). It is also 3050 cu. inches.

2. If a train changes station along the way to your final destination, can you get off at the change station, look around, and catch the next train? My BF wants to do a quick lookie-loo in Pisa and it is a change station on our way to the CT.

3. Any must eats in Italy? I have gelato and lots of seafood on my list along with pizza. I am traveling to Venice, Cinque Tere, Rome, Ischia, Sorrento (with stops in Naples, Amalfi, Positano). I hear Ischia is known for their rabbit... If you guys have any dishes I should look out for to try, I would appreciate it! Eating is the number 2 reason I am going to Italy ...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

2. If a train changes station along the way to your final destination, can you get off at the change station, look around, and catch the next train? My BF wants to do a quick lookie-loo in Pisa and it is a change station on our way to the CT.

Hmmmm I really can't remember but I THINK that when you book trains the person at the ticket vendor is actually booking your spot on each train for each leg of the trip~no special all-inclusive price. So why not just book a later train out of Pisa?
(Assuming there are seat reservations for the train otherwise definitely just get off and hop back on whenever you want)

3. Any must eats in Italy?
mmmm those little sandwiches are really good...and gelato is definitely good to be on your list ~my personal fav. strachiatella (but only the type that DOESNT look like it has chocolate sauce in it, for some reason there appears to be 2 types....)
Other than that, just see what looks good and eat!

Have fun!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

So far I have taken my pack which is about the size as yours onto every single plane I have gotten onto. Hopefully you have a detachable day pack and it will fit in the overhead easily, I have had to really shove it in a few times. I will tell you that I ignore the announcement about carryons when its a full flight, and just walk right on the plane with my pack on my back.

In Italy, I live on street food. It is everywhere and there is a huge selection. Even on Ischia, I lived on street food, and keep in mind that the grocery stores on Ischia are insanely cheap. Really BIG beers for only .50 euro. And bottles of wine for 2 Euro. Enjoy, and I can't wait to hear how you liked Ischia. You will be the first person I've encountered who has actually been there. We are going back for a few days on our next trip in 10 months. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 05-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Maineartist
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Maineartist

Lemlern: Here's a few I hadn't heard before going to Italy. You'll come across lots of wonderful food.

Frutti di mare: Fish cooked and served whole. It is interesting and delicious to eat seafood at Sicilian restaurants.

Sflogliatella: Napoli

Zuppa di ferro: Tuscany

Amatrice

Mangia Bene!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
indierock05
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

I went to NZ with a bigger bag and it was fine, and if it is too big then they will just charge you a fine

But good luck and have so much fun!

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
lemlern
Members

Thanks guys! Ischia is indeed one of the places I am most looking forward to visiting. There is so little info about it, so I am even more curious! I will post my travelogues for Italy and Ireland either as I go or when I get back. I have a feeling Ireland is going to rock too. My professor in Ireland booked herself, my boyfriend, and myself a hotel room near the Dublin airport, no charge for us!, when we get done with Italy, as the rest of class doesn't arrive until the next morning. What a nice way to jump into the country