Hey Tpunks give me your opinion... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Default Hey Tpunks give me your opinion...

So the plan was to head out to Italy and Europe this June and backpack 3 months. But right now that is not looking so hot. I've been sick a lot lately (strep and bronchitis for sure and if I'm not better in a week I have to go get tested for mono) and the cost of meds and taking off from work have hurt my budget. Plus I haven't been able to get a third job because I keep getting sick if I don't get enough sleep.

Anyway the point of this thread is I'm debating. If I leave in July for Europe I would have enough funds for a month maybe a month and a half if I stretch it. Right now I'm considering ditching Europe this summer and trying for the Fall. If I leave in the fall I can stay the full three months, plus I heard it's cheapier and less touristy. My only conflict with this is I can't stay in this damn town any longer without losing it! So if I do go to Europe in the Fall I might move out to cali (I have friends and family so it wouldn't be too expensive to relocate) or somewhere else for the summer and get work there.

Anyway I was just wondering if I could get some opinions from some of you. I'm having a hard time deciding between short trip in the summer or long trip in the fall. I want to go ASAP, but it just doesn't seem worth it for a month.

Any advice would kick ass.

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

The long trip for sure... delay instant gratification for long term benefit
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

Hmm...

Seeing as you want to go now, and you've already been getting psyched up for it. I say go now...or as soon as you feel better! You can always work overseas if need be! Helpx.net offers listings for farm-stays or work exchanges. You could do that for a few weeks, you may not get paid but you'd be saving money because they usually provide room and board free for work. Also, try couchsurfing.com or servas.org (the latter if you want something verified, since CS is relatively new) and use them to get a free place to sleep. Hostels and hotels eat a budget up faster than the line moves at the Louvre.

Relocating to CA does sound fun but the cost of living is so high out there compared to OK (where your profile says you live) that it might cut your budget more - or worse, cause you to wait longer to travel!!

Anywho, my say is to go for the summer trip and try to extend it via the things I mentioned, and any other tips you find on the boards. If it doesn't last 3 months, or even 1 month, I can promise you'll still have a kick-ass time.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
lilchappy
TPunk Recognized

I say it depends on how many place you want to go to. If you want to hit up all of Italy, that could take a month and your entire bankroll now. If you want to travel all over...amsterdam, paris, prague, or wherever, it is going to be a lot more expensive. Will you have that much more money in the fall? How much more money can you save in that time? Will you be traveling by yourself either way? Does Stillwater really suck that bad?

cya...lilchappy(fellow midwesterner)
lilchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
mushroom22
TPunk Recognized

^ I think that is great advice!

Really it comes down to what you want out of your trip. If you want it to be total relaxation, touring around, splurging occationally on activities and food, then you should wait and save up a bit more.

But if you're really anxious to get out and would do anything, there are ways to cut costs on your trip. And you never know what opportunities will arise while you are there!

Good luck with the decision-really, you can't go wrong! A summer in Cali could be a lead-up to an awesome fall in Europe
mushroom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Delayed Gratification is so much sweeter. My advice would be to move someplace for the summer and wait for the fall, late fall maybe but do something fun on your way to wherever you're gonna move. Road trip it up big-time or take some out of the way connection for a couple days.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
freespiritz
always trippin'

If I could find somewhere fun, cheap and even money-making to live for the summer, I would probably wait and get the full three months out of my trip. And you did mention how much you miss CA!

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Dilema Dilema Dilema.....i think you should wait till fall. It will be SO much better being away for 3 months instead of 1. And you are able to go to CA. But, thats just my opinion....let us know what you do

Mish xoxo
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #9
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I'll add to the dissent. I hate my job. There, I said it. The people are nice for the most part, but EVERY SINGLE DAY I wake up wishing today will be the day that I get violently ill and will not have to go to work for a week. I take short trips because though I know that eventually I'll be going for a long time, right now is not that time. And it was 3 years in between the last two times I traveled, and that was WAY TOO MUCH. I know it's only a couple months for you, but I agree with Blink, if you're miserable, just go and wing it. There is always a way. Delayed gratification is pretty sweet, so long as you are having a crappy time where you are right now. But it sounds like you're having a SHITTY time, and that's too much.

My only concern would be the stress of adventure traveling on your immune system. I know for all of us it's mostly good stress, but if Cali is your answer to possibly *not* being sick for the entire time on your trip (however long) then I would consider it "recuperation time" and not a delay so much.
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
I'll add to the dissent. I hate my job. There, I said it. The people are nice for the most part, but EVERY SINGLE DAY I wake up wishing today will be the day that I get violently ill and will not have to go to work for a week. .
Haha... I feel that way everyday. But I feel like that even when I like my job... I guess I am just a lazy bastard. BTW, I am at home and its 9:22am...i took this morning off. heh heh heh
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 04-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #11
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I would wait. I know this part of the country sucks the life out of ya, but be strong. Bet you are yearning for a little upscale culture, I know I am.

P.S. I got a summer job in Colorado, so I'm not going to be in west texas this summer either (I gotta get outta this place, if its the last thing I ever doooo....)
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Long trip in the fall, fo' sho'.

That's what I'm savin' it up for.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Esterina
french touch

Budgetwise, you could stay two or even three months in Central and Eastern Europe for the cost of one in Western Europe. And it happens to be the most interesting place in Europe to see
  • Poland and Czech Republic $40-50/day
  • Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Moldova and Bulgaria $25-35/day
You'd have enough to keep you busy for a long time ! And no visa required in those countries. In the ex-Yugoslavia lodging is rather expensive, almost as in Western Europe, but not food and transport; Albania and Turkey are very much budget friendly.

If you need to go, GO !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #14
Maineartist
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Maineartist
Exclamation Summer or Fall?

Roll!
Summer is a sweet time! If you can stretch a two month trip by working overseas or staying in Central Europe then do it. The memories will be great.

Plan for the worst & hope for the best.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #15
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
The long trip for sure... delay instant gratification for long term benefit
I agree! Go for what matters most.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
millmuff
TPunk Recognized

Personally I'd wait...I am waiting myself. The worst case if you went early is you could feel rushed and not have enough cash flow do do what you want. When that happens you come back and your not satified.

The summer usually fly's anyways...at least in canada it does.
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #17
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by millmuff View Post

The summer usually fly's anyways...at least in canada it does.
Haha... yeah, and then it gets ass-bitingly cold again

Old 04-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Wait till Fall...it's a better time to see Europe, anyway. Less crowds at all the sites, you still have nice weather (especially in Italy), and you won't have to stress out about full hostels as much or whatever...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #19
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

You guys are wonderful! I really appreciate all the feedback! It has definitely given me some food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchappy View Post
I say it depends on how many place you want to go to. If you want to hit up all of Italy, that could take a month and your entire bankroll now. If you want to travel all over...amsterdam, paris, prague, or wherever, it is going to be a lot more expensive. Will you have that much more money in the fall? How much more money can you save in that time? Will you be traveling by yourself either way? Does Stillwater really suck that bad?

cya...lilchappy(fellow midwesterner)
Stillwater really isn't that bad. This little town has a place in my heart. But I've been here for 4-5 years and with the exceptions of a few small vacations I haven't had a change of scenery since '03!!!!

My original plan was to travel Itlay for a month with court then head up north to see some friends and wander around on my own. I was originally only going to hit Ireland, Sweden (and surrounding areas.... this is where my friends are at) and Italy. But I'd much rather do a whole circle around Eruope. I plan to live really cheap, staying in hostels when I have to but camping out or sleeping wherever I land.

Since I've been sick I've been laying in bed and it has given me a lot of time to think. And I've realized what is driving me crazy is this town or really just that I need a change of scenery. Europe is the long term goal now, but when I do it I want to do it right. Right now I think for my sanity I need to change locations.

So I think I'm going to go to Cali. Like freespirit said I do miss cali! And I've gone over my budget a million times and I think I can make more out there. True their cost of living is way more than here in Oklahoma, but my dad is out there and he always has a place for me to crash. Not to mention I have nothing against camping on the beach for the summer if need be.

Plus if I happen to have mono I'm going to need the summer to get better. And I think I'll take Jake's advice and road trip it up on my way out there. Just thinking about that has me all excited. I could use a mini-vacation and I don't mind putting my trip off a few weeks so I can have some R&R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkchick2134 View Post
Hmm...

Seeing as you want to go now, and you've already been getting psyched up for it. I say go now...or as soon as you feel better! You can always work overseas if need be! Helpx.net offers listings for farm-stays or work exchanges. You could do that for a few weeks, you may not get paid but you'd be saving money because they usually provide room and board free for work. Also, try couchsurfing.com or servas.org (the latter if you want something verified, since CS is relatively new) and use them to get a free place to sleep. Hostels and hotels eat a budget up faster than the line moves at the Louvre.
I will definitely keep this info in mind!!! I've heard of couch surfing but I really like the idea of work exchanges! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atchoum View Post
Budgetwise, you could stay two or even three months in Central and Eastern Europe for the cost of one in Western Europe. And it happens to be the most interesting place in Europe to see
  • Poland and Czech Republic $40-50/day
  • Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Moldova and Bulgaria $25-35/day
You'd have enough to keep you busy for a long time ! And no visa required in those countries. In the ex-Yugoslavia lodging is rather expensive, almost as in Western Europe, but not food and transport; Albania and Turkey are very much budget friendly.

If you need to go, GO !
atchoum, this is great info. I will definitely use it when I hit up Eastern and Central Europe!

Once again thanks for the advice guys! I'm really happy to have found this site. Sometimes it really inspires me when I'm feeling down!

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #20
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

we love you to.