Buddhist spiritual treks? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-24-2007, 04:29 AM   #1
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38
Default Buddhist spiritual treks?

I was reading April's National Geographic Adventure mag last night and they did this piece onf travel/adventure for the 7 stages in life which was pretty cool, but oneof the 7 stages was like, spiritual or whatever and they offered this like 11 day trek through Tibet to Buddhist temples.

I liked the concept and it's somethign I'm definately interested in, exploring Buddhist temples/spiritual traveling. Do you all know of any similar programs that focus lesson the hiking part (I am not interested in hiking 70 miles... I am active but there's a line you must draw somewhere lol) and more on the spiritual part? Just wondering...

Nicole

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Well it isn't in Tibet, but in Colorado there are buddhist monasteries hidden away in the mountains. It would be different in many ways, but the spiritual part would probably be exactly the same. And you would already be in Colorado... plenty of hiking on your own.

Just a thought!:D
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
freespiritz
always trippin'

I know in China you could just show up at a monastery and they'd provide cheap food and lodging if you wanted to just chill, check things out and meditate. I'm not sure what they offer in terms of instruction, but if you just want to do your own personal exploration in that kind of environment it's not difficult to find a place to stay for a little while.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Elixir
Members

Send a message via AIM to Elixir Send a message via Yahoo to Elixir

I think that part of the spiritual journey would be the physical exhaustion, but that's just me. My favorite stories are of the old monks crawling across China on their bellys, things like that.

I would love to travel to China or somewhere and hang out in temples. For a while I was considering going to China to live and study in one of their temples, they have a trip where you pay, I believe, $1500-2500 dollars and you stay for so many months, learning Kung Fu, Tai Chi, and meditation. They also teach you about herbology, religion, and anything else you may be interested in.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Majestic58
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
I was reading April's National Geographic Adventure mag last night and they did this piece onf travel/adventure for the 7 stages in life which was pretty cool, but oneof the 7 stages was like, spiritual or whatever and they offered this like 11 day trek through Tibet to Buddhist temples.
Nicole
I am SUPER interested in this, did they give a website or anything where I can get more information?

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #6
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I will grab the mag when I grab dinner in a few hours and bring it back here and let you know! I know you have to pay, and it's like 11 days. They did give a website but I'll get it to ya in a bit!

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 04-25-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
I think that part of the spiritual journey would be the physical exhaustion,
i'm with you on that. I'm reading the book The Way of the Wanderer and David Yeadon talks about his spiritual travels. His book is all about self discovery thru travel. In one chapter he goes to Tasmania and hikes a deserted trail for a week. The book first opens up with him spending four days by himself on a deserted island. Great book if you are looking to combine spirituality with travel.

Quote:
I will grab the mag when I grab dinner in a few hours and bring it back here and let you know! I know you have to pay, and it's like 11 days. They did give a website but I'll get it to ya in a bit!
yeah I'd like the website too that would kick ass.

I once read a short story by Jennie Peabody called "Wagamama." It is from the book A Woman Alone. The story is about the author's experience in Japan on the island of Shikoku. There are 88 buddhist temples honoring holyman/scholar Kobo Daishi. You hike during the day then at night stay in the temples. This trek is definitely on my to-do list!

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:10 AM   #8
Majestic58
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

Quote:
Yay! Thanks.:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli Lover View Post
I once read a short story by Jennie Peabody called "Wagamama." It is from the book A Woman Alone. The story is about the author's experience in Japan on the island of Shikoku. There are 88 buddhist temples honoring holyman/scholar Kobo Daishi. You hike during the day then at night stay in the temples. This trek is definitely on my to-do list!
That sounds fantastic too!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
longshot
Members

A big part of the trip I'm going on is going to be visiting Buddhist spiritual sites.
I'm going to be visiting China, India, and Thailand, so there will be plenty to visit.

A lot depends on the form of Buddhism you are interested in. Vajrayana I would want to hit Tibet and Dharmasala, Zen/Chan Japan/China, and Theravada Thailand. The sites in India apply to all forms of Buddhism e.g. Bodh Gaya(the site of the Buddha's enlightment).

There's a company that does tours through China(and it's lead by a Zen Teacher) http://www.southmountaintours.com/pa..._gen_intro.htm

Hope that helps
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Sweet, thanks for the link. My wife is all over this one.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:25 AM   #11
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Okay here's the website:

www.tashidelektravel.com

It's 15 days, in Nepal, and $4785 including routdtrip airfare, meals, yada yada yada.

It sounds amazing!

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 04-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #12
Majestic58
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Quote:
Okay here's the website:

www.tashidelektravel.com

It's 15 days, in Nepal, and $4785 including routdtrip airfare, meals, yada yada yada.

It sounds amazing!
Wow, that actually doesn't sound bad at all price wise!

Old 04-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #13
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

ahh id love to do soemthing like that but i dont have the money and my asthma would cause chaos with that altitude.
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Smile

What would make it cooler is if you started some practice on your own so when you do go to such places, you won't be a noob and can appreciate them a lot more.

You may also eventually find that the real temples are living masters...
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote