Just booked my flight! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Default Just booked my flight!

Guys, I just booked my flight. I feel so good right now.

Now to plan the rest of the trip....

So leaving Canada June 16, arrive in London on June 17, coming back on July 14...

YAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

to plane tickets!!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Majestic58
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

Yay! I totally feel your excitement, I just booked my flight too!

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

It's a good feeling ain't it. i'm in the middle of pricing my flights...It's given me a headache though!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
lemlern
Members

I log in to the American Airline sight at least once a week to gaze dreamily at my booking. I also frequently check the seat charts to see if anyone picked a seat next to me... I am an airplane freak.. I know
Old 04-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
BelfastFlyer
celebrating jacks b-day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemlern View Post
I log in to the American Airline sight at least once a week to gaze dreamily at my booking. I also frequently check the seat charts to see if anyone picked a seat next to me... I am an airplane freak.. I know

I'm guilty of it as well!
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

^^Oh man...try looking not only at all the airplane sites to see the prices of tickets/specials practically once a day...but also checking skyauction once a day. Can you tell I've got wanderlust BAD?! I need to get out of here....oh well, only one more day until school is over and I can start planning this shiat...

Anyways, congrats CB! Booking your flight is always sooooooo exciting!!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia

Last edited by simply_angelic; 04-19-2007 at 05:26 PM.
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Yeah... I'm still feeling good. Hmmm.... can you check if someone's booked the seat next to you? I hope they gave me a window...

BUt now, the task at hand is to book a bunch of inter-europe flights.... wow, you know what easyjet and ryanair aren't as cheap as i thought they would be!!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 04-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
lemlern
Members

What airline u flying? Easy Jet and Ryan Air are free for all for picking seats. You just run onto the plane and hope for a window seat! Other airlines you can pick your seat once you booked your flight. Usually you just go to "manage account" or "manage booking". And then they have seat maps that show what seats are available.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
BelfastFlyer
celebrating jacks b-day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemlern View Post
What airline u flying? Easy Jet and Ryan Air are free for all for picking seats. You just run onto the plane and hope for a window seat! Other airlines you can pick your seat once you booked your flight. Usually you just go to "manage account" or "manage booking". And then they have seat maps that show what seats are available.
if you booked flights though expedia they have this feature as well (I just chaged my seat for my return flight tomorrow, I just need some QT with myseklf for a while. Hostels really take it out of me!
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #11
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
wow, you know what easyjet and ryanair aren't as cheap as i thought they would be!!
Ya it starts out at 1c then with taxes and all that it quickly goes up. €80 should be the most expensive and standard is usually around €20 - €40, once you get up over €20 try other airlines, they'll be the same price with better service.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

For sure... and easyjet and ryanair don't touch Turkey (much less Syria).

I'm actually having a LOT of trouble finding online descent flights from Athens to Istanbul, Istanbul to Damascus and Damascus to Aleppo.

And even more difficult is Damascus to Madrid... guess no one really likes to fly into Syria.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Quote:
For sure... and easyjet and ryanair don't touch Turkey (much less Syria).

I'm actually having a LOT of trouble finding online descent flights from Athens to Istanbul, Istanbul to Damascus and Damascus to Aleppo.

And even more difficult is Damascus to Madrid... guess no one really likes to fly into Syria.
Once you get to the ME, land crossings are TOTALLY exciting and cheap/fun. Best Europe to Turkey (NO I do NOT consider Turkey Europe!! It gets credit on a technicality!!!) is flying from Germany. I did Lufthansa and it was pretty awesome, except they kept hassling me for my Turkish residency card. (My German's that bad that they thought I was a Turkish guest worker or something!!)

And btw, I always feel like I'm going to throw up after I buy a big deal plane ticket. The exhilaration does not set in for a while!
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
lemlern
Members

Yeah I actually picked Aer Lingus over Ryan Air for my trip to Venice from Dublin because the price wasn't that much different and I would much rather leave Italy at 8 p.m. from Marco Polo than 6 a.m. from Treviso.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #15
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
Once you get to the ME, land crossings are TOTALLY exciting and cheap/fun. Best Europe to Turkey (NO I do NOT consider Turkey Europe!! It gets credit on a technicality!!!) is flying from Germany. I did Lufthansa and it was pretty awesome, except they kept hassling me for my Turkish residency card. (My German's that bad that they thought I was a Turkish guest worker or something!!)

And btw, I always feel like I'm going to throw up after I buy a big deal plane ticket. The exhilaration does not set in for a while!
Hmm... maybe I should fly directly from London to Germany, then to turkey to save some trouble.... and then go to Greece AFTER. Or not....

Yeah, I would love to do land crossings, but they might take a little too much time...

Strange, although I bought the ticket I don't feel too much different. I just feel like I need to plan everything, like I have to cram before an exam =) In a good way though...

Old 04-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #16
lebron23
Members

Are you going to be in Istanbul? I was there last month, I think you'll find it quite interesting. One thing, everyone will seem really nice and invite you to go drink tea, then they'll try to sell you a rug. The shop owners are ok, just don't trust the people that come up to you on the street and invite you for a drink at a bar. They also think all Asians are Japanese, and will speak Japanese to you all day.
lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #17
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Guys, I just booked my FINAL TICKET. I feel good (although, it was the estacic good that I had when I booked my first ticket).

It is DONE! FLight planning is done... but that last one from Damascus to Madrid was a dousey. I will not plan my trip like that next time, but whatever I want to go to the Running real bad.

Here's the damage in CAN dollars.

Toronto-London (rt) - $547
London-Athens - $100
Istanbul-Antalya - $100
Damascus-Madrid - $440 (this was actually the cheapest flight I could find!)
Bilbao-London - $60

Painful eh? Ah well....

Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #18
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebron23 View Post
Are you going to be in Istanbul? I was there last month, I think you'll find it quite interesting. One thing, everyone will seem really nice and invite you to go drink tea, then they'll try to sell you a rug. The shop owners are ok, just don't trust the people that come up to you on the street and invite you for a drink at a bar. They also think all Asians are Japanese, and will speak Japanese to you all day.
Yeah... that's why I have the Canadian Flag on my back... hopefully it won't confuse them too much to learn that there are many non-white Canadians... but its a big city, they MUST be used to stuff like that.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Quote:
Yeah... that's why I have the Canadian Flag on my back... hopefully it won't confuse them too much to learn that there are many non-white Canadians... but its a big city, they MUST be used to stuff like that.
Umm, I don't know if you remember what happens when we assume...

Honestly, anywhere in the ME I've been, nobody believes me that I am American, or once I say "America" they say, "yes, but where were you born?? your mother? your father?" I thought we were known as being pretty damn culturally diverse, but I'm not blonde, so I'm not American!!

And I'm so happy you booked your trip! Your plane tickets are about the same price as mine (maybe even less!) and I'm only going away for two weeks and only to one place! Rock!!!
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
Umm, I don't know if you remember what happens when we assume...
Hahaha... Jess, I am assuming this is a political joke. :D Actually I only got this after reading this for the second time...haha

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see people's reactions to me when I'm in the region... but of course, I assume they don't see many asians over there (of course I could be wrong).

I remember once talking to a Japanese backpacker who commented how good my English was... hahaha