Backpacking fashion - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
longshot
Members

Default Backpacking fashion

Greetings everybody! I'm planning on backpacking across asia for about a year in one month, but I'm caught in a little bit of a dilemma as to what kind of button down shirt I should bring for when I got into bars and clubs. The button down shirts I have right now aren't really suited for backpacking(too delicate, dry-clean only kind of stuff)

I'm planning on wearing jeans(dark), and brown leather boots, so I just need to find a shirt that will go with that. I'm looking for something that looks somewhat snappy, won't get insanely wrinkled in my pack, and will be easy to wash. Anyone have any ideas?
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I pack hippie clothes forever. They're only my partial style when I'm here (in US, not traveling), but I have not met anything else that is so versatile on the road - good for hiking, good in hot weather, long sleeves to at least cover you in cooler weather, great layering, and still "fashionable" enough to be clubby if you do it right. So muslin-y linen type things, maybe with a stripey vertical weave, so that even though they "wrinkle" easily, the vertical stripes will still help them keep their shape, but won't look ridiculous if you're climbing mountains. I had a shirt that I literally climbed Masada the hard way in, and then wore it (after washing) to dinner at the American Colony.

And yes, I'm imagining what I myself would wear, but also what a smokin' hot male specimen I might perhaps hit on would be wearing to a club while simultaneously backpacking and trying to look smokin'.
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

Go to any MEC or American equilvelent (I think it's REI) and you'll find a whole bunch of shirts that you can wear that look snappy.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonGirl View Post
Go to any MEC or American equilvelent (I think it's REI) and you'll find a whole bunch of shirts that you can wear that look snappy.
did you just say "snappy"

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Theres the other option... It doesnt have to be expensive, just keep your eyes open and wear what you see people wearing there. I went to Paris and the Dam for a few weeks last month, and I didnt take any clothes with me. Bought a few things in local shops, wasnt too expensive, and fit in well.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
HEWSINATOR
Members

Actually no clothes with you?

Awsome...
HEWSINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

There's a lot of dress shirts you can buy that are supposed to "look good wrinkled"... i think that's BS, and the OldNavy people just don't want to fold em.... but they look good

Observe the wrinkled dress shirts in this pic:IMG_0611111111.JPG
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Crap.... do I have to link to an URL?
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

I took a sweater, and I was somewhat layered but not excessively so. Took a small paints case, and a journal. It was so INCREDIBLY liberating, I reccomend it to anyone, esp ocd control freak types.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

Old 04-17-2007, 01:28 AM   #10
longshot
Members

Interesting, a few other people have recommended the prewrinkled shirts, I kinda of thought it was a little faddy though, although I could buy one and hope the fad doesn't go away while I'm gone.

Getting a sturdier shirt from a backpacking store might work. If I got it tailored, it could end up looking pretty snappy

Hippie clothes would be a new fashion genre for me. Not even sure where to buy them, at a head shop or something?
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Pre-wrinkled would scream american.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellelass View Post
Pre-wrinkled would scream american.
Beg to differ!!! My office European (well-traveled diplo-brat) is *highly* stylish and a club rat and wrinkly shit was THE thing in Paris last summer. I offer him my iron whenever he comes to work... (That still does not mean I agree with the trend or even the desire to follow trends if they're not your thing anyway!)

Longshot - #1 start your own fads!! #2 Old Navy goes in and out of hippie phases, at least for women, so they must have something for everyone. But if you do end up in a headshop, pick me up a hackeysack, aight?
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

I have been doing the pre-wrinkled thing since highschool, but mostly becuse i prefer to sleep for five more minutes than iron.

from the desk of the well dressed hobo i suggest when looking for shirt
that just screams "trendy not homeless" look for shirts that red wrinkle free on the label and do not have plastic points in the collar. you want to avoid white, blue is always good choice dark blue won;t show stains as easy. synthetic fabrics rock for stain fighting and drying quickly but they hold oder more than things like cotton.

that being said, in this pic i had been in germany for a bit at that point. the shirt was wrinkle free and had spent time in and out of a compression sac usualy i took it out and wore it for few hours and the major creases went away.

but i just realized in all honestly i really didnt care if i was wrinkled or not

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #14
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Oh awesome, my pic suddenly appeared! so i CAN upload photos into threads...

Old 04-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #15
TheWills
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

man if your going to asia you wont have ot really worry about what you are wearing, they will let you in wearing practicly anything soI wouldent worry about it at all. If you wanna be sure bring a button shirt and some flash jeans you will be good as gold then, but Im gonna go with the hippy cloathes its just not a part of the world where dressing flash really flys.....or is comfortable even.
wills
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #16
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
Beg to differ!!! My office European (well-traveled diplo-brat) is *highly* stylish and a club rat and wrinkly shit was THE thing in Paris last summer.
Precisely, last summer. Im being a pain...

Old 04-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellelass View Post
I took a sweater, and I was somewhat layered but not excessively so. Took a small paints case, and a journal. It was so INCREDIBLY liberating, I reccomend it to anyone, esp ocd control freak types.
OCD Control Freak RIGHT HERE!!!!!
That does sound liberating. Right now I'm trying to simplify my life and my stuff!!! Huge ordeal. Espically with clothes. Was there any reason in particular why you went over with no clothes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
I pack hippie clothes forever.
I love the hippie look. SIGH. I figure for Europe I'll do the hippie meets jeans look, with my own flare thrown in. Of course the saddest thing about cutting back my wardrobe is I can't take all my eccentric jewelry with me!!

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #18
d_fresh
TPunk Emeritus

where whatever is comfortable. who cares what it "screams".

for a lightweight, fast dry button down, go to somewhere like mec or another camping store. they should have plenty.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
HEWSINATOR
Members

I think for me, and if I could venture a guess about the other people who care, it is wanting to fit in a bit more and to avoid being stereotyped.

Wearing zip-off pants, and huge logoed American Eagle shirt, and an Atlanta Braves hat sends a message some may not want to send.
HEWSINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #20
Maineartist
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Maineartist
Wink

I took a blue silk shirt and kept it in a ziploc bag with air in it. It didn't soil really easy. Beware it wrinkles easy though. A couple Italian people said "nice shirt."