Customising my backpack - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-31-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
louse
TPunk Recognized

Default Customising my backpack

I've been packing my room up and I decided to start packing my bag today too. First step- make it as functional as possible through any necessary additions/removals.
So, excitingly, I discovered how to remove the inner support frame thing. You can pull the two strips of metal out (I will leave them in there but I think that is cool). When I did this, I noticed that one was perfectly flat and smooth, and the other was totally curved but kind of neatly, into the arch of a back or something. What are they supposed to look like?!?!!
Secondly, does anyone actually use the raincoat on their bag? I''m travelling through eastern europe in spring, I don't think it will be sooooo wet that I need to cover it up.. I'm not even planning on keeping myself dry! And I'd rather not carry it around 'just in case'....
Also, where is a good place to stash a €50 note? Or should I make it €100?
Anyone customise their backpacks in any other ways?
On an entirely non-functional level I did a stencil on mine and want to add some more interesting stuff in my continuing procrastination.
louse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by louse View Post
Also, where is a good place to stash a €50 note?
Your bra. No, I'm not kidding.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

That's a great idea!! Even if you wanna carry more than that too.
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

yeah, i was gonna say to put money in your bra. dont bother with a rain cover thingy... just make sure any documents are in one of those plastic envelopes... that way even if you get caught in a torrential downpour, the worst that can happen is the clothes in the top of your bag getting wet.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

lol now i know ur mostly trying to be practical but ya kinda motivated me and i think i'll individualize mine with a lil less emphasis on practicality lol and make it prutty
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
louse
TPunk Recognized

Nah, I'm doing the prettifying too! It's funny that only girls have replied to this topic... is changing your backpack just a totally bizarre girly thing to think about??? Far below all the serious manly concerns of other tpunkers??
Your bra is a good idea for more day to day stuff, but I was thinking more something in my backpack that I can leave there and forget about, just in case of absolute emergencies.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

since euros are plastic carrying them in ya bra shouldnt be a prob, and one of the key emergencies i cud thing of was losing all ur stuff so i guess putting it in ya bags not much help?? u could put it in ur shoe? maybe a 50 in ur money belt or on u and a 50 in ur pack perhaps?

lol actually just membered its my old bro's pack might have to keep that prettifying pretty low key lol..
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
freespiritz
always trippin'

I've been wanting to prettify my backpack(s) for ever now...I should get around to it! I actually should get a tpunk patch to put on it. :D

My backpack has one of those hydropack slot things, so I might slip a ziploc w/ money and safety pin it there or something.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 AM   #9
axisofignorance
Members

Send a message via AIM to axisofignorance

Those aluminum bars are known as "stays" they distribute the weight of the back over a larger surface area.Put the curved one up to your back and see if it follows the contours and then match the other one to it.I bought new aluminum to replace mine and saved almost a quarter pound but Im psycho like that.
axisofignorance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

I put my travellers cheques in a plastic bag then stuck them in a vitamin container and stuck all the vitamins back in so you couldnt even see that there was anything else in there. If you want to hide money in your bag I'd say that's a good way to do it.

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

whenever packing, i divide everything up into big plastic bags. it water proofs everything and makes it easier to finds things because you are only looking in a few places as oppose to 100 when everything is just shoved in your bag.

also, you should hide your extra money in something you wear every day, like a bra or a shoe. you're biggest emergency would be loosing your pack and being totally screwed. see if there is a way to remove the sole in your shoe and stash it there. then you wouldn't have to worry about loosing it if your drunk or whatever.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine

Last edited by ScarlotteDorian; 04-02-2007 at 09:35 PM.
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
louse
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisofignorance View Post
Those aluminum bars are known as "stays" they distribute the weight of the back over a larger surface area.Put the curved one up to your back and see if it follows the contours and then match the other one to it.I bought new aluminum to replace mine and saved almost a quarter pound but Im psycho like that.
Umm...oops... I already bent it back to being straight!

Ok, so when I started this thread I was all pumped to pack my bag up and see how much I can fit it... and I still haven't done it ... this was my second last free day before I have to have my bedroom completely cleaned out, everything thrown out or packed... and I spent it in Delft. Oh well. I saw some nice canals.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlotteDorian View Post
whenever packing, i divide everthing up into big plastic bags. it water proofs everything and makes it easier to finds things because you are only looking in a few places as oppose to 100 when everything is just shoved in your bag.

also, you should hide your extra money in something you wear every day, like a bra or a shoe. you're biggest emergency would be loosing your pack and being totally screwed. see if there is a way to remove the sole in your shoe and stash it there. then you wouldn't have to worry about loosing it if your drunk or whatever.
Another trick along those lines is something I do...

I have a couple pairs of Jeans (I don't travel with them, but I wear these back home) and some shirts as well that on the inside have little pockets sewn in.

These are like nothing fancy (since I can't sew to save my life) but just like a 4 inch by 4 inch piece of cloth sewed to the clothes on three sides leaving the top one for whatever it is you want there (ID, money, etc) in easy enough to get to spots. I usually pick somewhere that won't look noticeable like the bottom of the leg or along the waistline where a shirt will cover anyhow for pants. For shirts I try to do it near the bottom also cause it is a less noticeable spot and easy to get to without standing out.

If your going to do this just get some thread that's pretty close to the right color and your good to go.

At least then it doesn't look like your feeling yourself up if you need the cash hehe.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

I like the bra and shoe idea. Also I guess you could try your underwear (if you wear it). Just safty pin it in or something like that. Also if you have to have it in your bag, I know I read somewhere on here about sewing some money into your strap.

As for a rain cover how heavy are they? Are they really a burden. I ask because I plan to have my laptop with me and I don't want it to get wet if it rains. Damn there are so many decisions that need to be made before I go as far as how to pack and what to pack.... lol... the thought of it makes me want to breathe into a paperbag.

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:10 AM   #15
louse
TPunk Recognized

I am really starting to like the idea of stashing in shoes. I just have to buy some new, hole-free shoes that the money won't fall out of! And sewing in some pockets also sounds good. Oh my god, I am running out of time! And I am sick!

Do you think it would work wearing my money belt around my leg (under my jeans)? I guess it could be kind of awkward getting to it, but hey... people look pretty strange lifting their tops up anyway. And I think it would feel more secure/ less noticeable there.

patchouli Lover- The rain cover came with my bag and it's not heavy, just kind of bulky. And bright yellow
(btw I can relate to the whole hyperventilating thing right now...)
Old 04-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #16
mermaidnz
TPunk Recognized

adidas micropacers. on one shoe theres a velcro pocket, big enough to store a fiar bit, on the other-a clock

they are SUPER comfy too

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #17
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli Lover View Post
I ask because I plan to have my laptop with me and I don't want it to get wet if it rains. Damn there are so many decisions that need to be made before I go as far as how to pack and what to pack.... lol... the thought of it makes me want to breathe into a paperbag.
What you can do is go to Walmart or something like that and look for the giant ziplock bags. They are called pound bags or somethign like that on the front. Or maybe it is one gallon bags, something along those lines. They are lightweight, will fit a laptop, and protect it from rain.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #18
Majestic58
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

Quote:
Originally Posted by space virgin View Post
Your bra. No, I'm not kidding.
In all honesty, I carry money in my bra all the time in my regular life (like tucked under the strap I carry my cell phone there sometimes too *laughs*)... Now granted I'm small chested so that probably helps (Not a whole lot of places for things to get lost)... I don't trust pockets, and I'm really good at losing things.. So this way it's easy to keep track of. :D

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #19
louse
TPunk Recognized

I finally bought some shoes (I tried to bargain in dutch for a discount because the zipper was screwed but it didn't work) and I have stashed some money under the sole. So keep that in mind for any future t-punk meetups!

They're boots too, calf high, so I think I can also sew a pocket in them to keep extra cash, keycard, etc if necessary. I really like the idea not having to carry a bag around. I must be very lazy. In Berlin I was tieing things to my belt (including a cup) just to avoid carrying a bag. And then I kept giving stuff to my friend to carry around in their big bag.

My packing is still going pretty dodgily though. I have a garbage bag full of rubbish, another one full of stuff to give away, and still too much stuff. The new aupair arrives tomorrow so I have to be out of the bedroom by then. This is ridiculous. I want to throw most of my stuff out but if I do that then I will have nothing when I get back to Australia because I bought basically all my clothes with me!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:21 AM   #20
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

i was at the outdoor store a few weeks back, and i looked at one of the security belts. only thing it had going was a zipper sewn onto the inside. I think I could do that myself if i sat down to think about it.

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote