I move in 3 and a half weeks! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Default I move in 3 and a half weeks!

So, I disappeared for a little while, I've been extra busy.

But my exciting news is that on April 15th I'm moving to Birmingham and I start uni! I already made a song and dance about that a while ago, but I'm excited, sue me!

It's come so soon, I can't believe it!

The real bummer is that the accommodation service messed up and I'm left living in a hotel for the first week of my course, which is a huge pain, but it was either that, or live on a campus on the other side of the city, with only a slight possibility of being able to move to my required campus at a later stage. Something always goes wrong.

Anyway, do we have any tpunks in Birmingham? Maybe once I settle in I can finally meet up with someone?!

3 and a half weeks!!!!!

(Does this count as an announcement?! I think perhaps I should have put it somewhere else)
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

It's deffinitely an announcement!!

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I hope you love it there!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Alabama?

kidding

awesome! Have fun.

Last edited by TheJake; 03-21-2007 at 03:33 PM.
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Sweet Announcement! Congrats. Is this your first university or are you just continueing on wiht school?

Birmingham (we are talking about Birmingham, Alabama right?) is a beautiful city. I got to spend a few days there about a month ago and plan on going back for a week before I leave for Europe.

I think our Birmingham experet is c0urt. You should PM him, he knows a lot of people and a lot of cool places. In fact I think he just posted some of a nature hike he took.

Good luck with your move!!!

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

nice one. thats a weird time to start uni - do you not start in september?

buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Not Alabama!!! Birmingham, England! I wish it was Alabama, I love that accent, haha!

It is a weird time to start, it's a nursing course, and they have two intakes per year: one in April for those on a "graduate course" (already hold a social science degree, a la me!) and one in September for new undergraduates.

So this will be my second time at uni. It's a shorter course this time, 2 years as opposed to 3, which is a nice! I'm kind of in the state of mind that I want to really work hard this time, I'm not really feeling the "student way of life", I'm more in it for the hard work. Sad, huh?!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren313 View Post
Not Alabama!!! Birmingham, England! I wish it was Alabama, I love that accent, haha!

It is a weird time to start, it's a nursing course, and they have two intakes per year: one in April for those on a "graduate course" (already hold a social science degree, a la me!) and one in September for new undergraduates.

So this will be my second time at uni. It's a shorter course this time, 2 years as opposed to 3, which is a nice! I'm kind of in the state of mind that I want to really work hard this time, I'm not really feeling the "student way of life", I'm more in it for the hard work. Sad, huh?!
Not sad at all mate. WEhere are you moving from?

I am currnelty doing my first (and hopefully last!) degree. Its hard work but worthwhile. I would love to go into nursing too, but I'm just too squeamish
Props to you
Old 03-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

Quote:
I'm not really feeling the "student way of life", I'm more in it for the hard work. Sad, huh?!
Nah briliant! i actually enjoy uni so much more when i knuckle under, lol and boring as it may seem it keeps my life a lot less complex!!
As for accents..im a fan of english accents (on guys atleast)..so its not all bad lol
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
ok i feeeel like such a goober....lol.... oh well...

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Congrats, hope the transition goes well, Hotel life for a week, kinda cool, but tough with all the new stuff happening! Embrace and enjoy
Old 03-22-2007, 03:06 AM   #11
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

it seems to be a universal problem with UK universites and crap organisation of accomedation. is it the same abroad?

my halls were £90 a week (a LOT of money) and my hall had one kitchen to 15 rooms!! once my room flooded, and all my electronics were in there (im a music producer/perfromer) and luckily one of the labourers moved all my stuff onto my bed so nothing was harmed. but when i came home and saw my room was a paddling pool, the accomedation office did not give me another room!! i had to go back to my mums (3 hours in a different direction, where i had just came from)

im still trying to get the 90 back for that week i couldnt have my room. sigh, student housing!! good luck with all the moving, it must be such a hassle to have to go to a hotel then move again
Old 03-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Blimey, where was your uni?! I payed around £70 a week in Canterbury (almost 4 years ago, so I'm sure it's more now), Kent, and will be paying £68 per week in Birmingham.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

lol im staying out of this conversation seeing as i work part time for the largest student housing provider in the country

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #14
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Quote:
Blimey, where was your uni?! I payed around £70 a week in Canterbury (almost 4 years ago, so I'm sure it's more now), Kent, and will be paying £68 per week in Birmingham.
London! 90 a week is quite cheap for london too. the rent goes up about 5 a week too. i got an email today saying theres no housing allocation for third years on campus cos they are knocking down one block to replace it. there are limited numbers but they are over 100 a week! siiilllyyyyy money!

and beergal, SORT IT OUT jokes, i found some accomedation was lovely once you got it, i think my uni (brunel) has problems with the intake levels and admistrativley got it wrong. our flats are too old at brunel too - they are in the process of knocking some down and building new ones
Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Oh yeah, I'd say £90 a week isn't too bad for London.

Anyway, thanks for all the support guys, I'll let you know how the move goes. 3 weeks now!!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #16
expatben
lover of Germany

Thats awesome! Congratulations!!!!!

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote