The day we all become Irish - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Default The day we all become Irish

... or behave like them.

So, for whatever reason, the world over loooves to be Irish on March 17th... and seeing that it's on a Saturday this year it should be an interesting event. On my side of the planet I love celebrating (hey! My cousins are 1/4 Irish afterall!) And we always go somewhere with my friends. Last year was a bit unplanned as we all had already started school, and here in Buenos Aires everyone gathers around in Microcentro where they actually close the streets for a party in the steets... some Irish pubs even charge u 100$pesos (€25--> this is unbelievably expensive... posh nightclubs usually charge up to 30pesos on a regular weekend).

So last year we went to celebrate to a Dutch pub... yeah... Dutch... but we had Guiness FWIW!!

So.. I started this thread to see what everyone will be doing... and so that you post your St Paddy's photos here!!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

It is going to be an amazing day here in the States as we get to watch March Madness (College Basketball tournament) whilst drinking. Might go see a pretty popular Irish rock band in the afternoon, check out a parade or two, and will definitely enjoy a few pints of the black stuff.
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Drinking shall commence at 5pm tomorrow evening and continue on to Monday night then I have to catch a ferry over to England to spend 3 days at a show trying to sell things to people with a raging hangover. I haven't made any plans as it's more or less pointless, I haven't a clue what I'll be doing, either staying in me home town or going to Galway I'd say.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Delaney
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

I will also be watching March Madness and drinking Guinness and maybe a couple black and tans.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
freespiritz
always trippin'

Probably won't have legit Guinness seeing as we're all poor college students.

I do have an early St.Paddy's party tomorrow...and that will continue on to my roommate's birthday bash on Saturday. Bud Light still gets you drunk right? We *will* have green jello shots though!

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I will be in Houston, wearing green to the Rodeo. Last year I was in Athens, Georgia. Alcohol price fluctuation between DC and Athens led me to believe that a "Leprechaun Juice" for $3 would be mostly juice with a little bit of liquor. I didn't finish it. Two hours later, I was asking two kilted Irish guys (in GA?!) "so, I see you two are out to celebrate 'Irish Guys Get Laid' Day??" And then I ralphed. Not on them...much later actually, but that was the last part I remember.

Gave up alcohol for Lent, so unless somebody roofies my Diet Coke, I should be a little more lucid this year. Don't worry though, I'll put a lime in it - Erin Go Bragh?
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
freespiritz
always trippin'

Great one, Jess.

Maybe I'll meet some cute Irish guys this year. Actually, that probably won't happen, but it will be my *first* un-sober St. Paddy's!

Check out my band!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
mark-0
Members

I have no solid plan, or any confirmation from friends that we will do anything at all. But I do have a bunch of Guinness, two huge bottles of tasty, tasty Powers Irish Whiskey that I brought back from the Emerald Isle in August and a taste for adventure, so we'll see where it goes from there.

Hope everyone has a great time, wherever you end up (hopefully not clutching the porcelain god though).
mark-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

I won't be doing much celebrating for Paddy's Day this year...
I had initially planned on partying down in Savannah, GA this year with a bunch of friends (Savannah is the second-largest parade & celebration in the US after New York)...but those plans had to be shelved.
No matter, as I'll get another taste of the real Ireland soon enough!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

If your heading out to a traditional irish pub, I highly recommend you ask for a special. Its about 75% Smithwicks and 25% Guinness. A nice twist on the traditional black and tan.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I work Sunday morning so my St Pattys will be tonight!! Of course, all my friends work tomorrow and no one wants to go out late. My luck I suppose. I'm trying to talk my unemployeed friend into going out with me!

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

We have celticfest happening in vancouver this week. From the 14th-18th..So tonite I'm watching the canucks game and then heading to a pub for a few pints while listening to a celtic band jigging it up. On the 17th I am doing a 'day pub crawl' I have to work early on Sunday morning. So my best friend and I plan on getting drunk early afternoon. Most of the bars are opening up at 9am on Saturday! Hee haw!

I love st. pattys day. Back in the day I used to go on organized pub crawls with 300 people or so. We would all wear white painter suits and write obscene things all over eachother. We would get to each bar via yellow school buses..haha those wild days.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #13
raoulduke
Certified Wise

I got so exited when I worked out St Pat's day was on a Saturday this year. A bunch of my mates will be heading into the cty at around 11:30 am, drinking all day then catching the last train home.

Happy St Patricks dat to all!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #14
Brookers13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

I'll be at the St. Patrick's day parade downtown and then babysitting a bit and probably dragging myself out for a few green beers...I'm trying to save money desperately, but I love beer too much...I'll just have to find a nice man....and use it to my advantage

Erin Go Bragh! I'm very very Irish and I love it!

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #15
Joker
You want fries with that?

This'll be the first year I'm working on St. Pats in at least 6 years. Which is fine, because usually i go to Mass in the morning and get drunk by 2pm. Last year I did 12 hours of competitive beer drinking at my local Irish pub. My tab was around 24 guinness, and that didn't include the ones my dad bought me, the bartenders bought me, etc. I think we figured the average was 2.5 BPH. (beers per hour). What fuckered me was the damned carbombs.

All things said and done, I'm drying out a bit for the next few weeks, so its all good.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #16
space virgin
Yoda

I have to be at work at fucking 4:30am on Saturday (I normally work afternoons), so unless there's some serious nappage afterwards, I won't be partying.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:13 AM   #17
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

The weekend started early, went to the pub last night to have a few quite ones for me birthday and ended up absolutely twisted. A good few showed up and started buying me Jameson, I'm still drunk now.

I just found out our town parade is going ahead I wouldn't want to miss that it's probably one of the best in the entire world.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

I'm working at the ballpark tomorrow. Arizona Diamondbacks Vs the Kansas City Royals....

Stadium capacity - 10,500
estimated attendence - 15,000

I'm gonna have a busy ass day.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #19
freespiritz
always trippin'

One down - pre St Pat's partay, but it counts since it spilled over past midnight! I only had two beers, but I did paint my nails green and wear green eyeshadow so that's gotta count for something... Now I'm trying to do homework at 2.30 a.m. but tpunk is distracting me.

Check out my band!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #20
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

yah happy st pattys to ya! hehe this is very hard to spell think i'll coma now which me luck for studyin in a few hours xoxox
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote