when it just doesnt happen... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
mermaidnz
TPunk Recognized

Default when it just doesnt happen...

does anyone else find their travel plans just never work?

i swear i am constantly planning that trip of a life time, and it never happens, something ALWAYS comes up. hell, ive even booked flights, only to find, it didnt happen. i get excited, save the cash, buy the lonely planet books, the backpacks and accessories, yet neevr manage to leave the country

sooo fustrating. the last 4 years ive said 'im going to uk this year' and it doesnt end up happening.

i know no one believes ill make there this year now. its like crying wolf haha

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Wow, what's so serious taht's keeping you home? Sometimes you just gotta fly.
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

what happened to the central america trip?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
freespiritz
always trippin'

Happens to me all the time. I just keep changing my plans as things change, and eventually something does happen.

Hope you do make it somewhere soon though! And yeah, when are you going to Central America?

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

That always happens....things just get pushed back, until I can't take it anymore and FORCE them to happen. Things will work out, if you make 'em. What came up this time?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
mermaidnz
TPunk Recognized

my friend who i was paying to come, pulled out. she has uni exams that month. dumb. i dont wanna go all the way there for just 2 months.

so now its changed to UK.

does no one else ever have this issue?! lol its like im constantly saing "im going to such and such" and it doesnt happen.

the last trip got cancelled due to a death. the one before that, i ended up deciding to move to aussie instead, and now uni exams. i swear if anything gets in the way of Uk this time....

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
Rebel1
TPunk Recognized

Yeah, that sucks. I just decided that my first Real trip across the water was going to be booked and that was that. I'm locked in for two months. Really can't change too much now and im very happy bout that! good luck:D
Rebel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:34 AM   #8
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Yup my road trip to Finland via Lithuania looks like it's not going to work out this year. Not enough time off work to do the trip.

It'll just have to be Nurburgring and Amsterdam. I don't know where Finland came from I originally only wanted to go to Nurburgring.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 AM   #9
travelpunk
Admin

If something comes up, learn to work around it instead of putting it off.

Find another friend to go with or go solo and meet others.

Personally, I never, EVER, allow anyone or anything to hold me back from taking action on my dreams and goals.

Simply because most people are either unmotivated, indecisive, and/or just don't even know what they really want in life.

I say, choose a date of departure, and with or without a travel partner, pull the trigger .
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #10
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

I know what you mean. I was planning my first backpacking trip when I was 24 and now I am 32. I am finally doing a backpacking trip to Scandinavia. I basically told everyone in my life that I am doing this trip and no one is going to stop me.

My second backpacking trip, to South America, is going to be difficult. I have tested the waters and everyone can't believe I want to do a second trip after the first trip. It may be delayed a bit until I can figure out what the academic schedule is like in the Fall. I can't wait to finish school.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
travelpunk
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I know what you mean. I was planning my first backpacking trip when I was 24 and now I am 32. I am finally doing a backpacking trip to Scandinavia. I basically told everyone in my life that I am doing this trip and no one is going to stop me.

My second backpacking trip, to South America, is going to be difficult. I have tested the waters and everyone can't believe I want to do a second trip after the first trip. It may be delayed a bit until I can figure out what the academic schedule is like in the Fall. I can't wait to finish school.
Nice, bro ! The first trip is the hardest, because of the mental challenge and leaving the comfort (or discomfort zone).

Glad that you're finally doing it!

And Jessica, it will happen! Put all of your attention on your intention and the stars will start to align themselves to make that trip happen! You can do it !
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

I can't count the number of trips I've planned with other people, then had them back out. Nearly always I will go ahead and go by myself. That's the only answer. Always plan in the back of your mind to go solo. That way, if they cancel, you don't.

So, Jess, next time you plan a trip with someone, be thinking all along what slight adjustments you might make if the other person cancels. Then go anyway!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
freespiritz
always trippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
I can't count the number of trips I've planned with other people, then had them back out. Nearly always I will go ahead and go by myself. That's the only answer. Always plan in the back of your mind to go solo. That way, if they cancel, you don't.

So, Jess, next time you plan a trip with someone, be thinking all along what slight adjustments you might make if the other person cancels. Then go anyway!

worldwidemike
This is *exactly* what I've learnt to do. Or am learning. I still get solo jitters hardcore though.

Check out my band!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #14
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpunk View Post
Nice, bro ! The first trip is the hardest, because of the mental challenge and leaving the comfort (or discomfort zone).

Glad that you're finally doing it!

And Jessica, it will happen! Put all of your attention on your intention and the stars will start to align themselves to make that trip happen! You can do it !
Thanks bro!

But I really want Mermaid to have her backpacking trip too. Go solo!

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

yeh I maybe facing the same problem! im doing 2months in europe in august with airfares all booked but my flatmate is waiting on his dad in england to book his flight and im not sure if its gonna happen!at this stage i think im too attached to the idea to back out but doing my first decent backpaking trip by myself is not ideal all the same tho nufins gonna hold me back
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 AM   #16
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Yeah, us too! We had a third, but she bought a townhome, and decided that she wanted to back out. It would of been her first trip outta country, and when we got back last year she was like a little school girl, all excited about going with us this year. Oh well, Thank god for the internet, as I just cancelled anything that I had booked for her and kept on going. Sadly her loss, plus I won't have to drag a first timer around with us. It would of been fun though. Oh well
Old 03-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #17
millmuff
TPunk Recognized

Ahhhh....I think everyone knows how you feel mermaidnz. Setting up trips with friends is so hard to get done. Something always comes up if your waiting on someone elses word. The fact is that is that if its not booked in any way, when the actual time to go comes people will find an excuse or just be to scared to go.

The best way to do it is to just book part of it right away. Especially if you can do it way in advance. That way your locked in and you can also start paying for some of the expenses before you even go. Its not that people dont want to do it, but if its not booked chances are things are going to come up in your life and they'll seem "so" much more important.

I'm set up for this fall on a RTW...or as far as I can get. At first I was worried because I wouldn't be able to find anyone to do it with...since its such a long trip. I realized that if I leave it up to others to help set up it wont get done.....and going by yourself is always exciting.
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritz View Post
I still get solo jitters hardcore though.
Aw, c'mon! You KNOW you can do it. I listened to the video of the Boston Tpunk meetup and heard the voice of a confident woman. You can do whatever you put your mind to, Hwei! Your travels over the last year plus have proved that...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:51 AM   #19
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Girl I completely understand. I've been wanting to study abroad in Sweden for the last 3-4 years (I've sort of lost count). Everytime the new semester rolled around I had to cancel. First it was my appendix, then my little sis having a baby, then money. Finally I said screw it and am taking a break from school so I can go on my own. Ya I wish I could have the experience of living and attending school in another country, but things have worked out for the better and I'm super psyced about my backpacking trip this summer!!

The great thing about this trip this time is I have no time limit on when I have to go or have the money raised up. That and I get to live out of a backpack!

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #20
freespiritz
always trippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
Aw, c'mon! You KNOW you can do it. I listened to the video of the Boston Tpunk meetup and heard the voice of a confident woman. You can do whatever you put your mind to, Hwei! Your travels over the last year plus have proved that...

worldwidemike
Hehe, thanks Mike! I appreciate the support. :D

...Although the voice of a confident woman may have been a little alcohol-boosted.

It's all part of the thrill of traveling - being a little nervous but trusting yourself, stepping out and doing it anyway. I love the butterflies in the stomach!

Check out my band!