budget for morocco - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Africa

Africa Wilderness with a capital W ! Paradise like landscapes, the Kilimandjaro and the Nile, huts and victorian architecture. Africa is a crossroads of civilizations, the land before time.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-01-2007, 03:05 AM   #1
nena
Members

Default budget for morocco

I know Morocco is a very cheap country compared to western Europe but I have like 4 cents in my savings account, so I need SOME kind of saving goal

How much would I be spending a day, travelling through Morocco?

How much are the cheapest hotels/hostels?

Is it possible at all to hitchhike in Morocco/Northern Africa, or should I just not bother, and go for cheap buses or trains? How much would this cost me, in between cities?
nena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:27 AM   #2
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

This page gives you example bus fares (US$1 = 8.5 Dirhams):

http://www.triotours.com/faq/ma/travel-around-bus.htm

And you get see a train timetable here:

http://www.triotours.com/faq/ma/travel-around-train.htm

From what I've read, hitching isn't particularly easy in Morocco and if you do get picked up you'll probably be expected to pay towards fuel costs, so you may as well use the cheap public transport.

Hostels on hostelworld don't seem particularly good value, but I'm sure there are cheaper (and better) options, which I'm looking into at the moment as I may be going at easter.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Personaly I wouldn't hitch-hike in an Arab country. Arabs are super friendly people, and they are great to meet. But you never know what they might think of a woman hitch-hiking... I dunno, I lived in an Arab country for a year, and though loved it, there are certain things women still can't do (specially alone).
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Brookers13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

I definitely would not recommend hitch hiking in Morocco, it's just not a safe idea.

As far as sleeping, hostels are generally really cheap and though I can't stand lonely planet, they have some good ones in that book. Let's Go also has some excellent recommendations. Every single hostel I stayed in in Morocco came from one of the two.

Buses and trains are the way to go, CTM is the bus service and it is pretty nice. Other services run but are not nearly the same caliber...in certain destinations however, CTM is not a choice, but when it is, always choose it!

As far as trains, they are quite slow really but they get you where you need to be. I don't think one train was on schedule though when I was in Morocco so just a heads up, time isn't a really important thing there. Also it is VERY important to know this...

They will sell an unlimited number of second class train tickets, no matter how many seats are on the train. I spent 2 hours from Fez to Meknes standing up, smashed against a window because the aisleway is about 1 person wide and there were so many people in the car that it was packed 3 people wide! Basically when the train pulls up, the doors open and everyone RUNS to the train...DO THIS! you will definitely appreciate it.

Train and bus tickets will be about $7-$25 second class depending on where you're going.

As far as per day in Morocco, I'd say somewhere in the area of $20-$25 US would be about what you'd need. Many hostels/hotels will let you sleep up on the terrace under the stars for VERY cheap..couple bucks. And even if you decide you need to splurge a bit for a night or two, a nice hotel is only about $10 or $15 a night.

Food prices vary. Cooking isn't really an option as none of the hotels/hostels really have kitchens, so you'll have to buy out. Really for the amount of food you get, it's cheap.

Hmm that's all I can really think of right now. Let me know if you have more questions. Also, I can give you hostel recommendations if you like

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
urOZm8
TPunk Emeritus

I don't think it is worth the risk to hitch-hike and that's because transport is quite cheap (but a bit slow and not exactly comfortable).

I agree with the other comments made by Brookers13.

ev
Old 02-03-2007, 04:14 AM   #6
nena
Members

Thanks for your replies!!

And thanks for the website, there's some great info on there

For the transport prices I don't think I'll bother with taking the risk of hitchhiking.

I've found quite some hotels and hostels online but they all seem quite expensive.. I'll probably be getting a proper guidebook with hotels and stuff.

I was just wondering is it easy to just go to a city and find a cheap hotel? Are they easy to find in the city? How big is the risk that they're fully booked?
nena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
Brookers13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

I didn't book anything ahead of time. I just got to a city and wandered until I found somewhere to sleep. I did call ahead sometimes to see if there would be availability. Especially if you're arriving at night, I would call ahead.

Seriously let me know what cities you're looking at and I can give you some ideas as far as hotels. I need to dig my journal out anyways!

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
O-Face

One thing that surprised me about prices in Morocco was the food. In a lot of places your dinner can cost as much or more than your bed for the night, I found, especially in the desert and mountains where there isn't a lot of choice.

About the buses, it's true that CTM buses are way more comfortable, but some of my best experiences from the trip came from riding on the cramped crazy local buses, and that way your money doesn't go back to the eurolines company.

In Marrakesh I'd recommend Hotel Ali, was about 60 dirham for a dorm bed. Sleep on the roof if the weather's nice. Just remember you'll be awoken pretty early by prayer call...
O-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
urOZm8
TPunk Emeritus

I wouldn't worry about booking online as those are the expensive places to stay. I stayed at a few HI hostels which were really cheap (with varying quality) including those at Tangier, Rabat, Casablanca and Fes.

I also stayed at Hotel Ali in Marakesh and whilst it was overcrowded the price was okay and it was close to the main square.

ev