Whats your weirdest travel experience? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Default Whats your weirdest travel experience?

Ok, so just curious, mine is a sweet one, so I'm curious about all of you.
6 years ago on my honeymoon, we started in the Golden Isles off Georgia, then to Marco Island in South Florida.
So out first night on Jeckyl Island, Ga. our room number was 666, kid you not! We opened the door and the Christian channel was on the TV at full volume. Plus the water in the shower was either ice cold, or HOTTTTT.

So 6 years later, no devil worshipping or the like, but what a weird travel experience!!!:eek:
Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
travelpunk
Admin

Wow! How bizarre was that, that the Christian channel of all channels was playing.... Maybe the maid did that on a daily basis as she finished cleaining the room.

I would have IMMEDIATELY asked to switch rooms as I was checking in:eek: !
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Ya know, the kind of people we are, we found more humor in it than anything. I like the maid concept, oddly, we had not thought of that, and are now totally giggling at the idea. Sweet!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
travelpunk
Admin

I grew up in a very spiritual household and my mom would have been outta there! So, some of that was programmed into me .

Yeah, I know that most maids where I live are hispanic and they are very very spiritual (the maid that cleans my place is super duper). So maybe to ward off the evil spirits marked by the number of the beast (666), the one that cleans that room leaves the tv on the Christian channel to bless it?!

I don't know if that makes sense. Just doing my little late night TPunk CSI thang...
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Yeah, my mom would of split too!!! But not us, it just added to the whole experience
Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 AM   #6
BelfastFlyer
celebrating jacks b-day!

My wierdest experience was when i was in Brisbane in OZ, I was there a few days and I had an empty room one day a new girl comes in and I get talking to her and her eyes get teary and I ask whats up and she goes 'You're the first person I've spoke to like this in 2 weeks!' and cries. It happened to me again about a month later as well..

Turns out they were lead to believe that it was going to be 24/7 party time and everyone will be your mate... they got a bit a of a rude awakening :eek:
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I actually found most hostels to be fairly welcoming of other people (maybe I was lucky?) in the European hostel circuit. I even met a few people in other cities that were in cities I had visited

Whenever I was going anywhere, I always invited the "room". Usually I was invited too. The time I missed that the most is these American girl in Granada went to a spa sort of place and were skinny dipping with these old Spanish guys the day before I arrived. To think I was debating going a day earlier!

My weirdest/most memorable experience was sleeping in a Torino trainstation during the olympics. I made a post under

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=9679

--Joey
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

lets see i have had lots of weird ones, on my bicycle trip back to alabama, i got lost and came up on a pack of vultures eating a cow. and a lady riding her bicycle the other direction humping the handle bars

in germany it had to be all the random naked people in the parks

and this

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
mermaidnz
TPunk Recognized

thankfully havent had any wierd experiances yet (then again ive barely travelled) although, if i walked into room 666 with a christian tv channel blaring,id be walking straight back out again!! that stuff scares the bejesus out of me!:eek:

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:00 AM   #10
space virgin
Yoda

Each day that I was in India seemed like it was tailor-made to mess with my mind in one way or another. Usually it was at least entertaining, but not always.

Kashmir was kind of freaky because of the armed checkpoints. After going through a few of these I got used to it, but it was still a little unsettling. We'd drive up and army personnel would stop the car, they'd make the two guys (the driver, Javed, and my guide, Magbul or sometimes Latif) get out of the car and stand at least 20 feet away with guns pointed at them. Then two guys would stand on either side of the jeep with guns pointed not-so-subtly at me, inside in the back seat. Then one other guy would pepper me with questions: "Which country madam? When did you arrive in India? When did you arrive in Kashmir? When are you leaving Kashmir? When are you leaving India? Which airline? What are your plans while in Kashmir? Where else are you going in India? Where are you staying in Srinagar? Are these men taking you against your will?" After I'd answer all of these questions, they would give me a disconcertingly charming grin, point the guns up in the air or down at the ground and say "WELCOME TO KASHMIR, IT'S HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!" Javed and Magbul would get back in the car and off we'd go. They weren't suspicious of me, they were checking on my safety because of the terrorist activity targeting tourists.

Also, seeing the funeral pyres on the banks of the Ganges in Varanasi was a bit bizarre as well, but what was really fucked up were the scavenging dogs nosing through the huge piles of ashes. No one paid them the least bit of attention.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

ooh dogs scavenging through my ashes, what a way to be remembered
It sounds as if India was quite the adventure. Thats what I love so much about traveling
Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

hmmm this is a toughie. I am not really sure which was the craziest weird thing.

Either the two random guys that gave me a ride from milwaukee to chicago and refused to tell me what they did for work. All i knew was they just came from doing "some work down by the docks in jersey" That was a car ride.

Or

It was this little kid in Salvador de Bahia who grabbed my hand and dragged me to the favela section of town. By this point in time I was beginning to get worried about what was happening but I didn't figure this little kid would do me to much harm. Eventually we get to this crazy scary area of town and he motions for me to stay put while he went inside this "house." He comes out a couple seconds later with this guy about my size but totally ripped and wearing capoeira pants. The first thing that entered my mind was "oh shit im gonna get capoeira'd to death right here" and started to get my game face on. If he wanted to tumble I'd go down swinging. Turns out the kid just wanted to perform capoeira for me with his brother. Best capoeira show I ever saw! Needless to say they both got 5 US dollars from me with the promise of returning me to the tourist district safely!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
space virgin
Yoda

^ Awesome!!!

Another weird one was being surrounded by about 30 rowdy teenage Indian boys at the Taj Mahal. I thought they wanted me to take their picture... turns out they all wanted their photo taken WITH me, and each friggin' one of them had a disposable camera. The puzzled expression on my face in those photos is probably memorable.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
expatben
lover of Germany

My weirdest experiences probably happened in Belgium, looking at the famous peeing statue dressed like Elvis was an odd one, and also waking up on this bench and noticing this old woman staring at me saying-"you're friend has gone to the toilet."
Watching TV there was this magician who pulled a piglet out of his hat and oh yes, my friend left his camcorder and when it was recovered we found this message from a drunken clerk
"Stupid English mother f***ers! This button...nooooo....THIIIISSSS button."
Man, we still laugh about that!

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #15
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

Weirest? Last time I was in NYC while walking through Times Sq a hippie chick stopped me and my boyfriend and asked if we wanted tickets to a movie (I know that game well enough but since my boyfriend hasn't 'expierenced' NYC we chatted with her). We started talking about music, or something that was interesting anyway and then she's like 'do you guys wanna come check out the movie'. So we followed her along for a block or so and then we see this huge sign for the "Church of Scientology". We both backed away but decided to go in. It was scary! So clean cute and stuff. So they lead us over to this interactive board (which we couldnt figure out how to work) and told us to wait 10 minutes for the movie to begin. Needless to say we made for the door - as soon as we started walking we were surrounded by 3 people in suits asking us where we were going. I pulled this story out my ass about how we were planning to go to this musuem that closed at 4 - one lady goes "well its only 2" somehow i remembered that it was the day of Ford's funeral so a lot of places were closing early and had to figure out the subway. Then we booked, scary. We actually were debating staying and watching the movie but we didnt feel like waiting or sitting through a lecture at the end.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote