Next Week in Jerusalem... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Post Your Itinerary
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Post Your Itinerary Need help in planning, sorting, adding, and subtracting to your itinerary?
Post it here and see how the Tpunks would do it!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-05-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I leave Monday around noonish and will arrive in Tel Aviv at 9am Tuesday.
I'm going to spend a few days in Jerusalem getting a feel for the place and doing tours.
Thursday I'm going to Ein Gedi, the Dead Sea, and Masada
Somebody I work with gave me a few contacts in Jerusalem, so I may or may not be spending the first Friday I'm there at a Shabbat dinner with an Orthodox family (if anyone could comment on what the hell to do/wear/bring, I'd love it - so far, loooong black skirt, long sleeved white button-down shirt, hair up, but that's it...what kind of host/hostess gifts do you bring Orthodox Jews on Shabbat - or don't you??)
I have a friend in Tel Aviv who mentioned hiking and stuff on the weekends, but if I get an opportunity to go to dinner somewhere Friday night, I will not see him until Saturday.
Sunday, since work starts again, I'll either head down to Eilat, or if I spend Saturday with my friend, I'll fool around in Tel Aviv.
Once I get to Eilat, whenever that is, I'll see what there is to see there, maybe do a camel/desert tour thingie, then plan my border crossing to Jordan for a few days.
I'm only going to Jordan if I can't think of something to do in Israel. I like to focus on one place for an extended amount of time, but I'll be honest, Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite movie, and I know I'll wet myself for a chance to go to Wadi Rum/Aqaba.
I'd head back up to the center of Israel for my last weekend, then spend my last Sunday saying "goodbye" to Jerusalem.

I think I've pretty much decided to stay out of the North. My traveling theory is "I'll always go back." I know that it's not 100% true, but I can't beat myself up for missing things, when I know I love to do this. I'm just going to try to feel out the situation and if I get uncomfortable, I'm going to change my itinerary. I think the fact that I have a disorder I like to call "random ethnic face" (Are you Turkish/Spanish/Lebanese/Mixed??) is going to be 50/50 on this trip. Maybe it will help, maybe not.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:18 AM   #2
Echo Of Reason
Members

Send a message via AIM to Echo Of Reason

I'm currently in Jerusalem right now. The weather is pretty good during the day time but it gets very chilly at night. It is actually currently raining here but i've been in israel a week and it hasn't rained that often. I'd suggest going to Jordan if you have limited funds because Israel is like mini America and the prices reflect this. Jordan and Egypt are fractions of the price of Israel although many of the comforts are not there. Also if you go to the west bank it's much more affordable too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DC_Jessica @ Nov 5 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]144136[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I leave Monday around noonish and will arrive in Tel Aviv at 9am Tuesday.
I'm going to spend a few days in Jerusalem getting a feel for the place and doing tours.
Thursday I'm going to Ein Gedi, the Dead Sea, and Masada
Somebody I work with gave me a few contacts in Jerusalem, so I may or may not be spending the first Friday I'm there at a Shabbat dinner with an Orthodox family (if anyone could comment on what the hell to do/wear/bring, I'd love it - so far, loooong black skirt, long sleeved white button-down shirt, hair up, but that's it...what kind of host/hostess gifts do you bring Orthodox Jews on Shabbat - or don't you??)
I have a friend in Tel Aviv who mentioned hiking and stuff on the weekends, but if I get an opportunity to go to dinner somewhere Friday night, I will not see him until Saturday.
Sunday, since work starts again, I'll either head down to Eilat, or if I spend Saturday with my friend, I'll fool around in Tel Aviv.
Once I get to Eilat, whenever that is, I'll see what there is to see there, maybe do a camel/desert tour thingie, then plan my border crossing to Jordan for a few days.
I'm only going to Jordan if I can't think of something to do in Israel. I like to focus on one place for an extended amount of time, but I'll be honest, Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite movie, and I know I'll wet myself for a chance to go to Wadi Rum/Aqaba.
I'd head back up to the center of Israel for my last weekend, then spend my last Sunday saying "goodbye" to Jerusalem.

I think I've pretty much decided to stay out of the North. My traveling theory is "I'll always go back." I know that it's not 100% true, but I can't beat myself up for missing things, when I know I love to do this. I'm just going to try to feel out the situation and if I get uncomfortable, I'm going to change my itinerary. I think the fact that I have a disorder I like to call "random ethnic face" (Are you Turkish/Spanish/Lebanese/Mixed??) is going to be 50/50 on this trip. Maybe it will help, maybe not.
[/b]

blog
Echo Of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Echo Of Reason @ Nov 5 2006, 08:18 AM) [snapback]144137[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'm currently in Jerusalem right now. The weather is pretty good during the day time but it gets very chilly at night. It is actually currently raining here but i've been in israel a week and it hasn't rained that often. I'd suggest going to Jordan if you have limited funds because Israel is like mini America and the prices reflect this. Jordan and Egypt are fractions of the price of Israel although many of the comforts are not there. Also if you go to the west bank it's much more affordable too.
[/b]
Oooh thanks! Is the West Bank a little quieter now? I know I have heard rumblings here and there over the past month...
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Echo Of Reason
Members

Send a message via AIM to Echo Of Reason

There are some things that happen now and then over there. I have yet to make it out there but will be doing so in a few days. Everyone I've talked to says that it's perfectly safe. Just don't go wondering off in a bad area by yourself.

blog
Echo Of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote