Why? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
space virgin
Yoda

Why is it that my two-month-old, $50 pair of black pants from the Gap are falling apart AND fading when my two-year-old, $25 pair of black pants from Old Navy are still almost perfect? I don't get it. They're my work clothes and I'm very, very hard on all of my work clothing. Wouldn't it follow that the cheaper pants fell apart quicker? Sigh. There's a reason I have 12 white oxford shirts and 7 pairs of black pants for work. I lift things, rush around and get caught on door handles (this has actually happened more than once), get food all over myself... for the latter, it's mostly wedding cake because I'm one of few people that can actually cut cake nicely and in small enough pieces. I like to think of it as cake surgery.

But I digress.

The Gap pants actually *feel* better, but they look like hell now. I have unfortunately resorted to staples holding up the hem because there's not enough time to mend. From now on, I guess it's Old Navy all the way.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Good for Old Navy, making quality clothes for cheap. I still get the "performance fleece" jingle in my head every time I see the store.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
expatben
lover of Germany

ouch! That sucks.Its odd sometimes cheaper stuff is better-at least you got your Old Navy

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

I'm all about BDU's for work. They are tough as mud and comfortable but I don't think you would be able to get away with wearing them in the kitchen...
Old 10-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs up

I think pricier often means more delicate fabrics and finer designs/stitching?

Anyhow, I'm wearing some ON pants I just bought this weekend for like $15, and they seem pretty sturdy.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Get a job at Medieval Times and don a full suit of armor.

You know, like that dude in Garden State.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

How about the durability of pantyhose?

Yes I gotta wear good ol' fashion granny panty hose and it fuckin sucks. Today I had to change TWO times because of the runs. I easily spend $120 a year on pantyhose!!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
space virgin
Yoda

Heh. I remember seeing you in that uniform. Heh heh.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:39 AM   #9
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Companys like Gap know they'll make sales on their brand so there's no need to be to conserned with the quality.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 AM   #10
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I've always been kind of fond of Gap clothing - never had any durability issues. But, I've bought some expensive pants from Express and had them ripping and falling apart. Bastards.

I do have to agree - though not always the most exciting, unique clothes, Old Navy does rock. And their prices are great.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:43 AM   #11
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

GAP owns Old Navy I believe and I suspect both store's clothes are made in the same factories. Bottom line is that it depends on what person stitched the clothes on what day, and what time of day. Those factories are all about volume and speed. My Company has a factory in China and quality is a continuing problem (though we do not make clothes). I imagine its the same for all the clothing factories in Asia and Latin America - controlling quality when people are working 12-16 hours a day for small wages will always be a challenge. In other words...its all random shit-assed luck!!

BTW - I have a real problem with a lot of Old Navy stuff...the shirts and pants fit all strange, but I love GAP stuff. I can find certain things at Old Navy that work well for me - like wind pants for the gym, but for most things, I have given up because of too many odd-fitting, defect ridden things I have bought over the years from them. I haven't had stuff from there fall apart, though - it does seem durable - just poorly designed.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:10 AM   #12
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

I've been digging the Old Navy lately. I never used to shop there but all my shirts are now falling apart that I have been wearing the last few years (about 10 for some of them, I am 25 and have shirts from when I was 13) so I have been hitting up the clearence aisles at Old Navy. I think last time Iwas there I got like three shirts and a pair of shorts and the total was about 15 bucks. Nice.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #13
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

I just stick with Levi Jeans and cheap t-shirts and polo shirts. Levi withstand my abuse and are comfortable. It's worth the $30. Or go to the Salvation Army and get them for $4.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #14
Joker
You want fries with that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheJake @ Oct 2 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]141484[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'm all about BDU's for work. They are tough as mud and comfortable but I don't think you would be able to get away with wearing them in the kitchen...
[/b]
Horseshit. :D BDUs are the way to go. Can you tell which one is the Joker?

BDU's are far more durable than anything out there, except Dickies work pants. I wear either 5.11 brand ($$) or Tru-Spec's. They hold up far better than any of the "chef" pants that are out there, have far more pockets and arent overinflated in price like the Chefwear crap. Jeanie, if you like, suggest this: http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dlrID...mp;number=64355

Though I don't know how well that'll go with a tux shirt

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
space virgin
Yoda

Just looking at those I can tell they'd last forever but on me they would fit like shit.

I knew that the Gap and Old Navy were owned by the same company-- that company also owns Banana Republic, btw-- which is why I was kinda surprised that the supposedly "cheaper" garment would outlast the more expensive one. It's not just the hems-- the fabric itself is less prone to wrinkles and it doesn't fade AT ALL. But I guess if they're made in the same factories it might make a little more sense.

Jamie, you're right-- Old Navy's stuff is hideously inconsistent. Depending on the pants I can fit into no fewer than three different sizes just because of that! But generally when I find something that fits well, it lasts pretty much forever. Strange but true.

I won't stop shopping at the Gap just because of this, but I'm not going to buy any more of their black pants for fifty bucks a pop.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #16
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

That's awesome jokes! I wasn't expecting you to be in camo!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
BelfastFlyer
celebrating jacks b-day!

I know what you mean I go through about a shirt a month due to holes in the elbows (prob cause i sit with my head in my hands so much!). I think work places should either give out uniforms or give us expenses!!
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #18
Joker
You want fries with that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheJake @ Oct 3 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]141582[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

That's awesome jokes! I wasn't expecting you to be in camo!
[/b]
Jake, I own literally 10 pairs of camo pants. But only in arctic and the blue urban camo. Pair me with a black chef's coat and I'm good to go!!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:14 AM   #19
TERI
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

i love Old Navy. they have the most comfy clothes. I've been wearing some black yoga pants from there for work lately, and they were only $10 bucks. they're awesome.

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:11 AM   #20
awindos

Send a message via MSN to awindos

I never buy designer stuff because i dont think there good vaule for money. I get given disigner stuff as christmas and birthday presents but i find they wear out just as quickly as the £10 pair of trousers i brought from the market and to be honest i dont think they look better.

awindos is offline   Reply With Quote