Malta's back - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Western
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Europe: Western Cafés, castles, architecture, art, wine, the Euro, gastronomy, let´s meet up, and pub crawls.! Oh oui, backpackers paradise...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

After a couple of botched attempts, we're going to try to get to Malta again...this time in October.

I was just searching for accommodations (the hostel listed on tpunk isn't going to work out), and just got one which quoted a nightly rate of $2,058.69. Umm, yeah. No.

Fear not, I've some other options up my sleeve, just wanted to share with you all how the other half (or at least the other .01%) live!

For you Malta pros (KCL, that would be you!) how manageable is it to get around by bus? We're thinking of staying in Valletta proper, seems like the most concentrated/accessible interesting buildings/historical stuff for walking about, but we want to get out a bit, to kid-accessible places. We probably won't bother with a stroller, I'm guessing that'll be more trouble than it's worth...they look like narrow, old cobblestone streets with miniscule sidewalks. Can you confirm?

In a pinch we can put the three year old in the baby backpack, but that makes for a hot, tiresome hike for dad, so we may opt for less arduous walks that she can do on her own a bit. The Blue Lagoon - outta there? How long does it take to get cross island and between the three main islands? We'll probably check out a beach or two, but I think the history more intrigues us, so can you recommend any off the wall must sees?

My guide book indicates that October weather should be reasonably dry and in the 15 - 20 C range during the day - that mesh with your experience? If we can get by with one backpack again, we'd love to, but if we have to take cold/rain gear, we might have to concede to taking two.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Esterina
french touch

Rozza lives there, doesn't he ?

Great plans by the way !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
space virgin
Yoda

Nope, Roz lives on the Isle of Man between Britain and Ireland.

Have fun in Malta!!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Esterina
french touch

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Awesome. The public bus system is very easy and cheap, and will be all you'll need to get most places. Having a car would be nice if you can afford it because there are, as in any place, constraints on rely on public transit. And you are right to think a stroller would be a hassle! Malta is certainly not acessability friendly....often no side walks at all.

October will be a great time to go for sure, and your guide book sounds about right.

For outdoor stuff:
Blue Lagoon and Blue Groto are a must; actually one of my favorite places on the island. Go to the Dingli Cliffs. For beaches choose one of the northern ones, I prefer the St. Paul's bay area.

Histoical places:
Go to the city of Mdina - plan to be there in the evening (but not too late, you'll want to be able to see the views), walk around the entire city (its very small) and have coffee or diner at "Fontanella" on the Southern wall of the city, trust me.

Valetta: There is too much to mention...get a guide book. Check out the Royal Opera House for sure. The palace armory. Go to the old library. Go to see the Cathederal, make sure to see the "beheading of st. john the baptist" painting (Caravaggio). Have coffee at Cordina's cafe. Go to the old infermery ("Sacra Infrimera"). There is a garden on the southern wall that I can't remember the name of, it over looks the three cities across the bay, go there. Again, read a guide book.

Go to the three cities (Cospicua, Senglea, Vittoriosa) which are in the south and check out the fortified city walls and walk some of the harbors (either Senglea or Vittoriosa). Go to St. Theresa's friary garden.

Neolithic temples, goto at least 2 if not more.

There is a cave in southern Malta (can't think of the name) that has amazing prehistoric fossils, and would be easy to take to kids to.

The ferry ride to Gozo takes about 45 minutes. I would suggest staying in Gozo for a couple of nights. It is its own little paridise. There is nothing on Comino except a hotel, pig farm and church.

Ask questions if there is anything else you'd like to know! Enjoy!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:23 AM   #6
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

My friend went there two years ago. I almost went, I should of. I would love to see another Caravagio painting, especially that one.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:01 AM   #7
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

WOW I am in Malta on Nov 1. Any chance for a meet-up there?

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:04 AM   #8
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

KCL, thanks again for the tips, if we manage to pull this trip off, we'll certainly make the most of it!

Foo, no chance in November, my kids' school break is in mid-October, and that's when we go.

IF we go. Naturally, as soon as I went to the travel agent to get some info, that night my husband got a call offering him an incredible job at a horrible place, but they need him SOON! Like yesterday. So now we're totally in limbo, trying to figure out if and when that happens. This poor benighted trip to Malta, I've been trying for 15 years, and every time it comes close something crops up! So we'll see what happens!

Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 AM   #9
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

That's been my luck with Malta, too. I've been planning a trip there, only to end up going somewhere else, for years. Macchu Picchu in Peru, too. Another place I've been trying to get to, but with no luck...

Where's this horrible place the long-suffering hubby's been offered a job...?

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:17 AM   #10
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(worldwidemike @ Sep 10 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]139238[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
That's been my luck with Malta, too. I've been planning a trip there, only to end up going somewhere else, for years. Macchu Picchu in Peru, too. Another place I've been trying to get to, but with no luck...

Where's this horrible place the long-suffering hubby's been offered a job...?

worldwidemike
[/b]

New Mexico. NOT the pretty part.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:59 AM   #11
petalbear
Members

Send a message via MSN to petalbear Send a message via Skype™ to petalbear

Wow, I'd like to go one day. Hope you have fun
petalB
petalbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #12
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah, I'd like to go there one day too. It seems that it is not to be, though! That's our third strike, so I hope we get another chance, but it looks like it won't fit in during our current stint in Europe. Went to Normandy instead, which was awesome in a completely different way. Such is life.

Job looks more likely, but we're not sure about the timing now - probably around Christmas.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #13
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Default finally made it!

After three failed attempts, we finally made it to Malta. Last Feb, right about the same time all the foreign nationals were running there from Libya. We passed in the airport and are pretty sure our room was snapped up by some very stressed but relieved evacuees!

Stayed in Melleiha (sp?), which we loved. Weather was rather mild, and we had some stormy days, but after 4 months of grey and snow, just seeing green things and even flowers blooming was SO wonderful.

Great, great place to travel with kids - lots of small attractions that suited even the youngest's attention span. All within easy travel distance, and the bus system was at least half the fun! Hardly any crowds, so we weren't waiting around or too crowded, and, cheesy tourist trap as it is, Popeye Village was such fun.

The war museum was a pleasant surprise - much more extensive than the other museums/attractions we visited, and very engaging.

The boats were not running to Comino, so we missed the Blue Lagoon, but did enjoy a day trip to Gozo. Stayed at the Seabank Resort, couldn't beat the off-season half-board rate of 30 Euro/night (for 7 people!)

KCL - Dingli Cliffs look spectacular, but we wanted to return with all our little ones! Saving that for a post-kids trip!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
expatben
lover of Germany

Glad you finally made it!

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote