I Did It!!I Did It!!I Did It!! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

Send a message via MSN to travelchick75
Cool

Yahhhhh i finally booked my stupid plane ticket so im going for sure (as long as there are no problems with my visa or passport lol) even if i am going a little broke. The plane ticket cost $828 roundtrip (taxes included) Im leavin on september 5 woohoo. My only issue is that i have to go from winnipeg to toronto, then toronto to Newark, than Newark to Copenhagen and then finally Copenhagen to London Heathrow Phew!! Im gonna be one tired and grumpy (but very excited) biotch when i get off that final plane lol
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
travelchick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a hell of a trip though. Oy. I think my flight to Calcutta has only one stop!!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

Haha dont i know it lol but thats all part of the adventure right?? I am a little worried about making some of the flights in time cause they dont leave me much time to transfer from different terminals
Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

Well on the bright side Heathrow is on the Tube so getting into London is easily sorted. Enjoy!

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

What airline are you flying?

I'm salivating thinking of the mileage that that routing is gonna give you!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

congrats, i thought i had a bunch of layovers

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I've made connections in Copenhagen several times, and I know all the US flights come in to the same end of one terminal - but I think the other international flights come and go from the same area, so it shouldn't be too bad at that airport. I do recall seeing long lines to go through US security there, but at least on the way over you shouldn't have to deal with that...and on the way home you won't care. At any rate, the airport is quite small and easy to get around, so don't panic about that one, at least. If you do have some time to kill there, you are allowed to go through the customs point and into the main terminal, which has a lot more to offer in the food and entertainment category, so don't be shy about the security guards, but only go if you've got more than an hour to kill.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:13 AM   #9
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

Im flying on Aircanada till i get to newark (i really really didnt want to fly aircanada) and then scandanavian airlines the rest of the way. Thing that made me laugh though is that on Air Canada i have to buy my meal and the one flight they just give me a snack but on SAS they give me a hot meal and then breakfast. Stupid Air Canada Im glad to hear that bout Copenhagen though because i hate toronto airport and i only have an hour to get from one terminal to another so i know im totally gonna get lost
Old 07-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I hope you have a decent amount of connection time through Newark. Unless Toronto does the same thing as Vancouver (where you go through US passport control before flying out), you'll have to exit via an international gate and go though immigration, THEN haul yourself back to the terminal to catch your connecting flight. The terminals are mixed between international and domestic, which is great if you have a flight originating in the US and switching to an international flight, but horrible if you're using Newark as a stopping point between countries. There's a particular amount of ass-jackery in the security lines when you're trying to get back in...

But I wouldn't worry too much. Most flights through there are delayed anyway.

Can you tell I hate Newark airport? It's a shame, because it's actually a very modern, pretty airport.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Can you tell I hate Newark airport? It's a shame, because it's actually a very modern, pretty airport.
This must be the first time ever that I have witnessed someone use 'pretty' and 'Newark' in the same paragraph, never mind sentence!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by travelchick75@Jul 27 2006, 06:13 AM
Im flying on Aircanada till i get to newark (i really really didnt want to fly aircanada) and then scandanavian airlines the rest of the way.* Thing that made me laugh though is that on Air Canada i have to buy my meal and the one flight they just give me a snack but on SAS they give me a hot meal and then breakfast.* Stupid Air Canada Im glad to hear that bout Copenhagen though because i hate toronto airport and i only have an hour to get from one terminal to another so i know im totally gonna get lost
[snapback]132585[/snapback]
Your Air Canada flights are short "domestic" legs - I don't know ANY carrier that offers a free hot meal service in economy on such short flights...Winnipeg to Toronto and Toronto to Newark are not exactly trans-continental flights! So what you describe is "business as usual" for "domestic" (North American) airlines.

Make sure you join either Air Canada's frequent flier program or Scandinavian's. You're probably better off with Aeroplan, Air Canada's program, especially if you have a budget economy ticket. You can use your Aeroplan number to earn miles on your Scandinavian flights, as SAS is a Star Alliance carrier.

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Jul 27 2006, 12:52 PM
Unless Toronto does the same thing as Vancouver (where you go through US passport control before flying out), you'll have to exit via an international gate and go though immigration, THEN haul yourself back to the terminal to catch your connecting flight.
[snapback]132637[/snapback]
They do...here's a list of pre-clearance locations. Most major Canadian cities have pre-clearance, and outside of the US, Dublin and Shannon do as well!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

so i emailed my agent back complaining about the short time to get to my next flight and she fixed it for me lol but now im leaving at 7:45 in the morning this may sound stupid but im not even sure how connections work lol do i have to get my bags and recheck them or wat?? Oh great thanks for the heads up at Newark but im pretty sure i can go through pre-clearance at least i hope i can lol Yeah but ive got a 3 hour layover at Newark so whoopie do for me haha ah well im still freakin excited. Oh and i also booked at St.Christopers (Southwark) in London. Anybody ever been i've heard good things but i'd take any advice you world travellers have lol
Old 07-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #14
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Congrats on booking your trip! I've never had a connection, so I can't offer any advice there, I'm afraid!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

haha and the last time i had a connection they lost or luggage and we missed our flight. Ill say it once and ill say it again i HATE HATE HATE Toronto airport.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #16
rousseau5550

Send a message via MSN to rousseau5550

September 5th, that's also the day when I'm flying from YUL TO CDG (Montreal to Paris)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoot

Places left to visit: The rest of the World..

http://www.facebook.com/1Alexandre.Rousseau
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
rousseau5550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

Woo Hoo Here's to September 5th lol
Old 07-27-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
toddkaz

ANYONE FLYING OUT of CANADA try this airline
http://www.flyzoom.com/

I go my tickets from them about 600 bucks flying into london

Also another neat little trick is British air

I love them....You go onto British air UK site and you can book your return ticket 360 days in advance
toddkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #19
xanthuos

Well you can find out from your travel agent what you'll have to do in regards to your connecting flights. Since the airlines you're flying (Air Canada and SAS) are part of the same alliance, there is a good chance all your flights will be on the same ticket/reservation. I don't know about having to claim bags and recheck them since you'll be going through several customs zones (Canada to US, US to EU, EU to UK)...but that's another question your travel agent can answer.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:04 PM   #20
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

but that's another question your travel agent can answer.
[snapback]132717[/snapback]
[/quote]

Haha is that a hint???