Eastern Europe Vaccines? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
anorthernsoul
Members

Hi there,

Thinking about taking a trip to Eastern Europe this summer (Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia etc) and was wondering about vaccines. Are there any required or recommended vaccinations? I know some people from Poland, and they just thought that I was silly, worrying about this, but still I'm not sure. Do anyone have any experience about this?
anorthernsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

I didnt recieve any vaccinations..Atchoum is probably writing exactly the same thing as i type this.

However i would be careful if you were going during the summer months and camping or walking in any forests as there are a lot of gnats around during this time.

Be careful if you head into Eastern Europe (i.e Belarus, Georgia etc) of the drinking water

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Esterina
french touch

There are no vaccine requirements, but I there are some risks that can be avoided with vaccines.

"These recommendations are mainly based on risk estimates according to national incidences and prevalences of vaccine-preventable diseases such as hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid fever, meningococcal meningitis, rabies, and tick-borne encephalitis." (out of http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract)

About what Beergal said, I didn't dare drinking water anywhere (Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria), but Beergal is from UK and I from Canada. I unfortunately ate cherries in Bulgaria that had been soaking in water, and was siiiiiiiiick for the next 24 hours. With water, one is never too careful ! Don't drink anything with ice cubes either.

By the way, Eastern Europe is fantastic !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

Best thing to do is ask your doctor. When I went he recommended I have Hep A & B, Typhoid, Rabies and Tick Borne Encephalitis for Eastern Europe (this was on top of what we're given as children in the UK anyway). I took the free ones (Hep A and Typhoid) and didn't bother with the rest.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
JeanB
Members

Send a message via MSN to JeanB

I think that you'll be absolutely fine without them. My brother lives in moscow and he didn't bother with any vaccines, and neither have i when i visited him......and he happily drinks the water over there as well, despite all the locals warning him not to......
Old 06-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Its always a good idea to get Typhoid and Hep A if your going to a developing country. If your going to get Hep A, you might as well get Hep B. Hep A and Typhoid are food/water borne generally, so really anywhere you travel where you suspect food handling may not be particularly hygenic, you could be at risk. Hell, people in the U.S. get Hep A from restaurants every year so its a good idea to get Hep A period.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Def ask your doctor, but we didn't get any before we moved to Lithuania where we lived for two years. They did suggest the tick-borne encephalitis one for the kids, but since we spent most of our time in the city we didn't bother. We traveled a fair bit throughout eastern Europe and never worried about drinking the local water or getting shots, and survived just fine. Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Latvia, Estonia... The only place I got sick on our 6 week summer backpacking trip was after eating at a fancy tourist restaurant in Salzburg, Austria - I think it was the soup, cause my daughter got sick too, and that was the only thing we only the two of us ate. So there you go, you never know...

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

You'l be fine, Eastern Europe is still within the EU and as such are required to maintian European standards so if your not afraid of picking up something in Itally you don't really need to worry about Eastern Europe. Thats the way I see it anyway.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
anorthernsoul
Members

First of all I want to thank you all for your answers - it is fantastic that one can just write a question about almost everything when it comes to travelling and get almost immediate reply from experienced backpackers. I'm sure there are a lot of people who appreciate this, so just keep up the excellent work!

I called my doctor today and he said that he recommend me to take Hep A vaccination. It is quite expensive, so is it worth it? How high are the risks that you can get serious diseases? Is it only to avoid particular food and drinks and so on? Well, i'm kind of an hypocondric person so maybe it is better to receive vaccinations.

And again, thank you for your help.
anorthernsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
Esterina
french touch

Hmmmm, if you're a hypocondriac and have the money, go for the vaccine !

I don't know about the risks, sorry. I spent six weeks in Eastern Europe, went in the countryside and in cities, ate and drank with locals and in tourist restaurants, went on the beach, and I'm still Hep A free... If your doctor only suggested it, this means risks are low, otherwise, the vaccine would be mandatory.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #11
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Ditto atchoum - we lived there for two years, traveling all over, visiting the little villages with no indoor plumbing, eating delicious local food, NO health problems. Just take sensible precautions - if you wouldn't eat skanky meat at home, don't eat it abroad!

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #12
medsoc
Members

Hi,

I'm a medical student in Canada, so can chime in my 2 cents (but of course, your doctor is better!). With that said, I don't have travel experience in Europe (I leave in 8 days for a 2 month trip ) so I can't comment about conditions or risk.

Hepatitis A is a viral disease affecting your liver. It's transmitted through the fecal-oral route, and runs an acute course (vs. Hep B and Hep C that can become chronic, Hep A only very rarely does). Incubation period is about 28 days, and you're looking at fever, diarrhea, N&V, malaise, sore muscles, etc.
Symptoms tend to last a few weeks, and there's not much in terms of medication that physicians can give you.

In the end, I'd probably recommend the Hep A & Typhoid both. Why not vaccinate yourself against diseases, even if they're largely preventable.. and you're an avid traveller, so bang for your buck! Think of it like insurance... pay a little bit to prevent illness!
But still avoid drinking the water in far eastern countries! (and hope to try and avoid traveller's diarrhea and the like.. which is self limiting btw!)

(Hep B by the way is mainly an STD, and Hep C is blood borne transmission)
medsoc is offline   Reply With Quote