Traveler's Nightmare - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Today has been the day from hell. As usual for me before a departure, I got really drunk with some friends of mine last night. The party wound down, and drunk me wanted some smokes at 3 am. So I walked five blocks to the only place that's open that late. They always card there, I know they do. So I knew I had to have my ID then, though things are kind of hazy. I was carrying my passport because my wallet was stolen a while back.

This morning I wake up early-ish, insanely hungover and freak out. It was raining buckets outside and my roomie and I scoured my route the night before, to no avail. Tore apart the house. Nothing. So there I was, five hours before departure the the Mid East and I have absolutely NO identification. None.

To top it off, my mom drove three hours from Houston so she could have some coffee and surprise me before I take off. She shows up at my place, I'm panicky and upset and going through the worst hangover ever and she's so proud of me I just can't tell her what an idiot I am. Somehow I managed to not tell her what's going on, she thinks I'm safely on a plane somewhere over the atlantic right now.

I can't believe how stupid I am. This is perhaps the worst thing I've ever done to myself. I've always had a rule that my drinking is ok until it interferes with my daily life. I'm going to get some help for it.

So tomorrow I need to get up bright and early and run around trying to get a super expensively expedited passport. And go to the travel agent and shell out $$$ to get my ticket changed. Hilariously enough, I have to somehow locate my birth certificate and I havent seen that thing in ages. I suppose its at my parents' house and I can't get it from there. At best, I guess I'll be out there around monday, I hope it can happen earlier but I doubt it. Worst case I miss my program, $4000 down the tube to be a complete and utter failure.

Anyway let it be an example. Still in shock.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Joker
You want fries with that?

OMG!

Steph, that sucks!!! I am so sorry to hear it! My jaw is on the floor right now.

Didja try the 7-11 or whatever you went to for smokes? Maybe you left it there?

Jeebus, I hope you find it! Keep us posted!

PS: If anything, this might help:

Most state DMV's keep an electronic version of your photo on file, so in the event that you lost yours, etc, they can pull it up. You may wanna try first thing tomorrow morning to get it anyway, and then, if possible (this is the way it is here in MD), go to the State office that handles birth and death certifs (they usually are at DMV's) and get your birth certif reissued. Just to have 'em in case, y'know?

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

I was born in florida, live in texas. The very quickest I can find is three days to get the b.c.. Business days. Then two to get a new passport. A week. A WEEK. Unless Jeanna's plan works. She's going to talk to my parents and tell them I need it and ask them to look for it and overnight it to her. Some story about school decided they need it at the last time. I dont like lying to my parents, but I cant stand the thought of them knowing, either. And by now I might as well just keep on with it. So if they find it I can get out of here sooner. I'm not drinking again for a long, long time.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

Old 05-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

Oh God, Steph! I am praying you find it honey....

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Joker

Shit. Sorry that plan doesn't work, Steph. But is your DL in Texas?

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Old 05-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

I dont drive. Never learned. My complete and utter lack of driving aptitude scared my dad too much so he gave up after 6 months and said it would be cheaper to hire a chauffuer to drive me about than to pay for the cars I'd inevitably crash. That sounds kind of harsh but it wasnt really.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
Joker

Same gig with the state ID thing, Steph. At least you can have that as a backup to your travel? Like I said, MD keeps 'em on file to verify you are who you say you are when you renew. (for comparison purposes. The guy even remarked how much I'd changed and the lack of hair between licenses... )

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

wOw...

steph.... i so hope you get this situated ASAP!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:44 PM   #9
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Fingers and toes firmly crossed for ya, babe.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 PM   #10
space virgin
Yoda

OMG Steph. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you. Seriously.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:50 PM   #11
expatben
lover of Germany

Sorry Steph, I really am. I wish there was something I could say to help but yeah try your 7/11 where you bought smokes, ask your friends too, maybe they took it from you for safe keeping. You can order your new passport here it could save time instead of you going there and back there and back to the passport office.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #12
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

How long was the trip supposed to be?

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
Hollz
Members

Ahhh, that's horrible! I'll be thinking about you even-though I hardly know you I hope everything works out!

What program are you going for? Have you spoken to anyone over there about what kind of leeway they can give you?

Good luck!!!
Hollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #14
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

So, so sorry Steph. I hope this all works out for you!!!! Keep us updated..

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #15
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

That is horrific. I can only hope you wake up and find it was all a horrible dream. Or that you can track down your passport right quick. Good luck sorting it all out.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #16
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

That well and truly sucks. I wish you the best of luck in getting it sorted asap. Keep us posted!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #17
rae_of_sunshine
Members

Send a message via MSN to rae_of_sunshine

Good Luck! I really hope everything works out for you...it's such a nightmarish situation.

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question, yes is the answer." -a t-shirt

"A fly canīt bird, but a bird can fly" -Winnie the Pooh
rae_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #18
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Steph, PM me if flying to Washington DC for a passport (or anywhere else domestically) will expedite things. I can possibly hook you up with a guest pass fare on America West or USAirways...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #19
Jen05
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Jen05

yikes yikes yikes. That is brutal. I wish I had some miracle response or solution, but no such luck. I hope this mess gets sorted out!!
Jen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #20
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by bellelass@May 31 2006, 10:44 PM
I can't believe how stupid I am.* This is perhaps the worst thing I've ever done to myself.* I've always had a rule that my drinking is ok until it interferes with my daily life.* I'm going to get some help for it.
[snapback]123532[/snapback]
Wow, first Joansy gets off the herb, and now you're gettin' off the hooch?

Wtf?

Ya, I do say focus and retrace your steps, ask your friends, never know if you could find it at the last minute?

Otherwise, very sorry to hear about it and best of luck on Plan B!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote