need money!! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
tektonik1
Members

Location: I am from America and so far have been to or lived in Los angeles-San fransisco-san diego-riverside, California. Las Vegas, Nevada. Portland- Albany- John day-ashland, Oregon. Bethlehem-allentown-nazareth, Pennsylvania. Harlem, New york. Newark, new
Send a message via MSN to tektonik1 Send a message via Yahoo to tektonik1

Im going on a trip to Europe. a totally random 5-month trip because I love to live on the edge. Ive lived in 26 states in the past 4 years so im pretty seasoned. the problem is I didnt save enough money. I have a plane ticket and a Eurail pass. and practically no money. what should I do? should I go and try to make money there or should I just give up and wait another year? any Ideas? Im not scheduled to leave for another 2 weeks and I already sold ALL of my possesions and gave up my apartment. HELP!!
tektonik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
tektonik1
Members

Location: I am from America and so far have been to or lived in Los angeles-San fransisco-san diego-riverside, California. Las Vegas, Nevada. Portland- Albany- John day-ashland, Oregon. Bethlehem-allentown-nazareth, Pennsylvania. Harlem, New york. Newark, new

I have a nice acoustic, but I cant sing, and Im not a pro or anything. I just play basic stuff. can I use this to make money in europe? If so, what are the rules?
do you have to be a master musician to not get laughed off the street?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Esterina
french touch

Hi tektonik ! Let's see if which option is better, leave or stay. Hmmm, do you have enough money to live for a couple of weeks in Europe ? Do you have friends or relatives abroad ?

I believe staff in hostels can help you find work, if not in their hostel, then where to look. They also will be able to tell you where to play your music, what rules to follow. Or you could teach english (I heard it's pretty easy to find clients in Eastern Europe countries).

Of course Eastern Europe is cheaper than Western.

I'm sure there are solutions !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
xtremefx

Send a message via ICQ to xtremefx Send a message via AIM to xtremefx Send a message via MSN to xtremefx Send a message via Yahoo to xtremefx Send a message via Skype™ to xtremefx

lol,you sound like a laugh,go and have fun,see what happens,be spontanious and make the bad decisions and take the wrong turns,it could end up being a better experience and more enjoyable as a whole

i feel like im sounding like someone else on here,who is it,damn it,i have a few ppl in mind,but i dont want to say,cos everyone will totally disagree

yea,go and have fun

¬_¬
xtremefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

You already have three major issues taken care of: you're free from your home/possessions, you have your plane ticket abroad and train travel for when you're there - what's the question? Of course you should go. It'll just be more of an adventure. Bring your guitar and play your simple riffs and be goofy and get a crowd. As to work to stay in hostels, maybe even see if you can get yourself a couple week gig somewhere. Use your train travel to drop you off in strange destinations and see who'll put you up.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
tektonik1
Members

Teaching English sounds awesome since I am a Writer and a poet. English was always my strong point in school. how do i do this? any websites with more info? I just want to have fun. I dont care if i have to sleep outside, or eat grubworms or whatever. I just dont want to go to Jail for vagrancy. If you dont have your freedom, what do you have? I will never let the confines of my wallet stop me from flying free in our Beautiful world.

"Lord I was born a ramblin' man, tryna make a livin and i'm doin the best I can" (Allman Brothers.)

BTW, thanks all who have replied.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I'm not sure about the street musican thing but I know other members can tell you a bit more.

Try couchsurfing.com for some free beds (just dont overstay your welcome). Some hostels offer jobs at the desk and if nothing else try and find some odd jobs (internet cafe notice boards, etc)

Also helpx.net has a few listings for work in exchange for room and board, won't help the money issue but may give you some time to get on your feet and find a job to get some cash.

I'd kill to be in your shoes! Take the chance and run with it!

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
xtremefx

Send a message via ICQ to xtremefx Send a message via AIM to xtremefx Send a message via MSN to xtremefx Send a message via Yahoo to xtremefx Send a message via Skype™ to xtremefx

tefl is apparently good,i have no bludy idea about it,and i cant think of a link for the life of me,more than likely tefl.com,or jus google it

¬_¬
Old 05-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
xtremefx

oooh and gumtree.com,sorry for being a posting whore,the musician should be awesome,im doin it next year apparently,i aint been playin long,im dreading it to be hoenst with you

¬_¬
Old 05-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
Esterina
french touch

With your philosophy of life, I'm sure you'll have a super experience in Europe, and the fact that you have to work will make it even greater !

I googled for five minutes and those links came up :

teach english in central europe
teach english in Romania
teach english - listings
teaching opportunities in eastern europe

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote