A few Questions... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
roxygurl1822002
Members

Send a message via AIM to roxygurl1822002

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, oh well I suppose. Anywho. I was wondering if anyone on the site has or is studying aboard??? And I question how the experience went. Another question is, does anyone watch 5 Takes on the Travel Channel? Haha, its a really great travel show. If not, take a glance at it tonight at 10pm. I think they're in Australia or New Zealand, for all those who are considering to take a trip there. Well, hope to get some answers!!! Thanxs much! ~ DeAnna
roxygurl1822002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by roxygurl1822002@May 18 2006, 08:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone on the site has or is studying aboard??? And I question how the experience went.
[snapback]121585[/snapback]
Hey DeAnna, actually I have. I did home schooling (which I really dont recommend, but it was the only way to not fall behind on my classes) for one year while I lived in Damascus, and then in High School I did my Sophomore Year in Sierra Vista, AZ and in Fayetteville, NC.

I thought it was an increadible experience. I wasn't an exchange student really (although everyone thought I sort of was), I went because my Dad was invited by the US Army to take some courses, and so I went with all my family. But I still had a really good feel of what was school like over there, how people are, what they do and how they live. People who although where my same age acted completely different than my friends backhome. It was a GREAT experience and if I could I would do it all over again. I went to a Catholic, all-girls school here in Buenos Aires, so it was a HUGE change to go to a 2600 students, public school in the US. But I loved it. I got to do all the typical things that you see in the movies... which to me where just that: things that only happened in the movies. I had a blast going to Rallys, all the "school spirit" vibe,the school's news paper, Winter Ball, kids driving at 16, taco Bell after Drama meetings , needing a hallway pass to go to the toilet :greenguy:, cheerleaders practicing their chants during math period , pepperoni pizza for lunch, the yellow bus, a locker.. all cheese things, but it was great having to speak in a different language all the time, trying new things and meeting people who where my same age but were completely different, and I met really wonderful people!!

I even dated the Norwegian exchange student ( ) I was the total envy of the school LOL. But as he went alone he did miss his family a lot. I got to live with my parents, so I had absolutely no problem. And the internet was becoming quite popular *back then* so I got to keep in touch with all my friends here in BsAs.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you've got the chance to do this anywhere in the world just go for it!!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I always wished I could go to an American high school! It just seemed so different to how it is in the UK... and I'm sure it's waaaay different to other countries!

Sorry DeAnna, got a little off topic there, I'm afraid I've not studied abroad, I would have quite liked to have had a year abroad with my degree, but it wasn't offered at my university
Old 05-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
Esterina
french touch

U2fan was in Japan to study, wasn't she ? Beergal1 spent a few months in Budapest to study. Who is in England at this very moment ? I've forgotten. Anyway I believe there are more. They will probably post one day or another.

I'm going for a semester in Moscow next year, so still can't help you, but I can't wait !

Where would you like to study, and what subject ?

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
freespiritz
always trippin'

Well, I'm from Malaysia and currently studying in the US - will finish up first year next week. It's been a good experience - things like discussion-based classes are TOTALLY different concepts from anything found in Asian school. The culture shock hasn't really been prominent at all, and I've enjoyed the opportunity to pursue fields unavailable to me in Asia especially in the arts.

I'll be going to China this fall for three months, and probably Italy next fall, so I'll let you know how those study abroads go!

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

My brother (American) spent a year studying abroad in France and loved the experience. There were moments when he was really homesick and struggled in his classes (100% in French) but he had a great time and met a lot of wonderful people who he still stays in contact with.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
Spartan
Members

Im in the last 2 weeks of a year studying abroad in France. It was a great experience. I study completely in French and I didnt know any french before i came here. Its been an amazing time, but there were times you feel a little isolated from all your acustomed to. But all in all it was a great year.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #8
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

I studied in Morocco two summers back and I will be studying in Israel and Egypt this summer. It was a really enriching experience, and gave me a lot of insight I wouldnt have picked up from just reading about people and places... What exactly did you want to know about studying abroad?

And.. uhm... you working for the travel channel eh?
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #9
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

My husband got a Masters degree in Lithuania. His classes were in Lithuanian, so that was a challenge, but living there for two years as a family was fantastic.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by florencia9699@May 18 2006, 03:25 PM
I got to do all the typical things that you see in the movies... which to me where just that: things that only happened in the movies. I had a blast going to Rallys, all the "school spirit" vibe,the school's news paper, Winter Ball, kids driving at 16, taco Bell after Drama meetings ,* needing a hallway pass to go to the toilet* :greenguy:, cheerleaders practicing their chants during math period* , pepperoni pizza for lunch, the yellow bus, a locker.. all cheese things

Haha, thats funny. Ive ben asked while in Europe whether American high schools are really like they are portrayed in the movies. Non Americans are fascinated by them.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

I used to tell stories about highschool to my european friends... til the scotsman asked me if Id grown up in a teen movie.... Well, why would the movies be that way to begin with, eh?
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #12
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah I always told them that it was pretty accuratley portrayed, and it really is.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:36 AM   #13
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I never got over the fact that American high schools don't have a uniform! How unfair! I spent my whole school career wearing crappy uniforms.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:26 AM   #14
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

^^ Actually... even though I complained all through school, wearing a uniform was cool. In school in the US you have to actully think about what you have to wear... a desition I loved not making early in the morning when i was dead asleep here... And actually the whole "deciding what to wear, putting on make up (no make up for the nuns in BsAs LOL!) and running like mad for the yellow bus" was a constant through my stay in the US. :D

Ahh... the good ol' days!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 AM   #15
roxygurl1822002
Members

What exactly did you want to know about studying abroad?

I want to major in Public Administration. I was looking through some colleges last night in the United Kingdom. Has any one on the site decided to just go to a University across seas? Is it more work than applying to a United States college, because you live here. What would you need to do, is getting a study permit difficult? Are the colleges more of a challenge to get into in the UK than here? Sorry for asking so many questions, I haven't found a source to really help me out yet. Thanxs for the replies too, everyone!!! Have a great day! ~ DeAnna
Old 05-19-2006, 07:16 AM   #16
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

As Atchoum mentioned i did study for a semester in Budapest. Its definately something i would recommend any student doing if they have the chance.
For me it has provided me with an excellent opportunity and grounding in my future career choices. I used my experience of studying in Budapest to produce a collection of photographs in a book for my final year dissertation in conjunction with Romani non governmental organisations.

If its something you can do...get out there and do it!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #17
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by lauren313@May 19 2006, 04:36 AM
I never got over the fact that American high schools don't have a uniform! How unfair! I spent my whole school career wearing crappy uniforms.
[snapback]121670[/snapback]
Actually some American high schools do wear uniforms. The high school I would have gone to in Miami had I not moved does have uniforms now. And so do a lot of the middle schools and elementary schools.

I had looked into a study abroard program, but the $$$ invloved

Anyway, berwin right now is a high school junior studying in the Netherlands. He might see this topic but you could PM him for more info.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #18
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

As long as you can afford your £7000 for fees plus living costs most universities will take you. We have loads of north Americans studying n the UK in fact my uni even does an American studies degree lol

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #19
roxygurl1822002
Members

Thank you all sooo much for the info/advice!!! Much love! ~ DeAnna
Old 06-02-2006, 03:19 AM   #20
yokonobono
Members

I studied abroad in Australia for four months and it literally changed my life. Don't even think twice: Go!!!! You will get to know a new culture and even a new perspective on your own country. As, well most of the other people you meet are very fun and adventurous - travel/party types with brains too. I have been able to revisit friends all over the world after meeting them for just one semester - you really form a bond with people abroad because the experience is so intense.
yokonobono is offline   Reply With Quote