teaching in international schools - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-15-2006, 03:05 AM   #1
JeanB
Members

Send a message via MSN to JeanB

Anyone know anyone who has ever landed a permanent contract teaching in an international school (i.e. NOT anything to do with teaching english as a foreign language). I could really do with some advice on this subject. Ive looked at loads of agencies but it seems that apart from the TES i must register costing me money. Yes Money. Bastards. I'm a fully qualified teacher in Britiain (mathematics) so i should be able to land one, provided i can find the vacancies in the first place.

Just want a job anywhere other than the uk, cause i want student loans to really suffer for the debt they are insisting that i owe them. They'll never find me hahahahahahahaahah
Old 05-15-2006, 03:17 AM   #2
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

ha ha i know how you feel about the student loans thing...
ok i was interested in the same thing and have been looking at universities that are part of the Erasmus programme because then the majority of lectures are taught in English. Other than that you could try Dubai or Abu Dhabi, my aunt is also a maths teacher and works in Abu Dhabi but then she speaks Farsi, Arabic and English so i guess its how good your foreign language skills are i think the majority of her lectures are in English though.

Dont forget if you default on your student loans they will catch up with you!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

my parents are both teachers and they've taught in international schools in indonesia and Brunei (and i went to the schools as a student).. they got the job in indonesia when I was about three so unfortunately I don't know how that came about, but the job in Brunei was simply an ad in the paper - the school was new and the people who set it up just put an ad in all the major newspapers in Australia, New Zealand, Britain and Canada. They also advertised on a few websites, one of them the Teacher Recruitment International website, which looks to me like you don't have to pay to join - http://www.triaust.com/
I noticed you are a maths teacher - I know it wouldn't be the same as teaching in an international school, but the australian public school system is desperate for maths teachers (and I mean desperate - my teacher was a dirty old man pulled out of retirement who had never been trained for maths, but he was asked to leave after numerous sexual harassment reports). Have you thought about doing a teacher exchange program? that way you get accomodation in the country you are going to, and with most programs you get to have the same pay as you would back home... of course it means someone else living in your house for a year, but its an option worth looking in to.
Obviously I have no personal experience in this area but my parents have done it, I went to an international school and I know a lot of teachers who have done exchanges and things like that so if you wanted to know anything I'd be happy to ask around... for now I'm gonna go to bed so sorry I can't give much specific help right now but good luck with it all
Old 05-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

A couple of friends of mine worked at the International School in Vilnius (where I hasten to add, my kids did NOT attend - we don't have $16,000 annually to spend on tuition! Per child!) Anyway, they checked out stuff on line, attended conferences and job fairs (there is usually one in London in the spring) and applied for everything. I think the people who were less choosy about their destination had better luck getting into the system - everyone wants to go live in Paris for a few years, fewer are eager to sign up for Bucharest. But the jobs are out there...

Once you get into the system, it seems like it's a lot easier to make contacts and stay abroad.

Good luck,

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
JeanB
Members

Cheers people for all the help. Think i have found the spring conference thingy in london so all is cool as school. Will look into the exchange thingy also; got to know all your options.

and i swear that if i am still working in the UK when i'm 28, im gonna arm myself to the teeth, sit on the top of the college, and shoot random passers by to vent my frustration.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

Lol that doesnt give me long 28 ha ha would have only just started my first teaching job by then...are you trying to say something about teaching in the UK

Old 05-17-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
JeanB
Members

Teaching in the UK is fine. Golden Hello for shortage subjects (spent mine last year. nothing to show for it except passport stamps and memories) You can even apply for your student loans to be paid off, but the bastards found a loophole to stop me doing that (they said i applied a year late, yet the scheme is still running).
But there is a lot of papergrief in the job. Like if its not written down in evidence then it wasn't done. But i'm sure its like that everywhere. You will love teaching here i reckon. But good luck with comprehensives, just done take any shit from the year nines (worst year in my opinion).
Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

funny you should mention the year 9's someone else said exactly the same thing.

Alas i wont qualify for the golden hello as i will be teaching geography and so they wont pay off my student loan either not to mention im having to pay £3000 for the pgce it kinda works out equal though what with my grant of £2700 from the govt. and an extra £1000 from the uni.
Im doing that aim higher thing in a couple of weeks lol im sure it will put me off of teaching for life

Old 05-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
JeanB
Members

I understand you completely, that sort of stuff is so depressing

Just get yourself a set of ''la la i'm not listening'' earpieces like on that
advert.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

off to the chemist to find a pair ha ha

Old 01-07-2007, 04:53 AM   #11
Dell
T-PUNK PRIVATE

I attended the international school of San Salvador in El Salvador. I would reccomend Googling Internation School of...(insert city or country). That will probably pop up a host web sites and you would be able to apply directly. Try the same thing with The British school of .. and the American school of... All three are common names overseas.

D
Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

There was an Americal School in Damascus, Syria if you're interested in going there. Hehe,, i didnt attend it either (like TW kids).... it was so damned expensive!!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote