Things to do on an airplane - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
oh_juli
Members

How does one survive an entire day in a seat? I'm looking for suggestions.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
raysen
TPunk Recognized

most ive been on a plane was to florida a few years ago took bout 9 hours i think. Wasnt to bad going there had a good mixture of films to watch, but on teh way back was quite annoying

If U read maybe ould eb good to take a book, or maybe mp3 player/walkman,Not really much room to play cards, but ya never know you may get an emprty seat next to you

Dont know if i've been much help but I try ol
And if one man can stand tall..
There must be hope for us all...
Somewhere, somewhere, in the spirit of man.
raysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

longest one for me was around 32 hours i think, but that was with a long wait in Buenos Aires airport and another long one in Santiago airport, total flying time was around 20 or so hours i think. All i did for entertainment was watch the in flight movies (they are pretty damn good these days), listen to music, and sleep. I can sleep where ever, when ever, so long flights don't really phase me too much. If you have trouble sleeping on planes just make sure you have a big night out the night before your flight, you'll sleep like a baby.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
oh_juli
Members

Yeah, I'm off to China, so that'll be 13 hours. I'll definitely be packing in some Excedrin PMs...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

*cough* mile high *cough*

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
Joker
You want fries with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Dude@May 8 2006, 04:47 PM
*cough* mile high *cough*

[snapback]119076[/snapback]

*cough * dramamine plus gin * cough *

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

One word: Ambien

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

You can hope that they have good movies...just make sure you get up and walk around alot! you will thank ur self for it when you land.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

I think one of the keys for me is to break up the trip. Read for awhile, watch a movie, sleep. Wakeup, eat some crapy airline food, read some more, etc. I also bring an Ipod and some noise canceling headphones which are really good to have, especially if you have kids in the near vicinity.

If I wasn't a big reader, I would probably go out of my mind. I would recommend checking your airline's website in advance to see what they offer for in-flight movies. Some airlines have great in-flight entertainment with a wide variety of on-demand movies, tv shows, etc. Others only offer a fairly basic rotation of bad movies that are not on-demand. It helps to know ahead of time what they offer.

Just mentally prepare yourself and relax.....don't get wound up over minor inconveniences. Also, bring a couple of bottles of water because you will seriously dehydrate when on a plane for 20+ hours. You may also want to consider some of the special socks they sell to improve circulation and reduce swelling of your feet - your shoes might not fit at the end of the flight and possibly an inflatable neck pillow, I think they work well to help you sleep. Good luck!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
ch3cooh
Members

Send a message via AIM to ch3cooh

My strategy on long flights is a good book, an iPod and then drink until I get a little sleepy.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Spartan
Members

Book
IPod
Pray for a good inflight movie
Sleep aid pills
Drink youself silly
Get one of those neck pillows, they look silly but they are magic
Portable DVD players rule
And drink yourself silly
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
freespiritz
always trippin'

Books, music, movies are always staples.
Journal - I journalled a lot on my last few flights in my trusty beat-up travel journal.
Strike up conversation, hopefully you get someone interesting in the vicinity.
Sleep, sleep, sleep (I normally try to figure out the change in time difference and how it relates to flight time and sleep accordingly to minimize jetlag)
Eat airplane food.
Zone out, meditate. Take photos of clouds out of the window. I spend quite a lot of time staring out of the plane window actually, it's kinda hypnotic.
You could also do those stretching excercises that they show sometimes. :P

I think I might have to try the drinking solution the next time I fly. :P

If I had a significant other to fly with, I'd join the Mile High Club fo' sho'.

Have fun, it won't be too bad. I'm going to do two 23-hr airtime flights in the space of five days later this year, which I am NOT looking forward to.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #13
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

I like to pick up books or magazines I wouldnt normally bother with at all (things like Lucky magazine or People, the Da Vinci Code or my latest airplane book was "Memoirs of a Geisha" that I literally finished in one sitting) and I glory in reading CRAP that no one will catch me with. I also write write write write. Working on one or the other of my stories. Music doesnt do much for me, and Ive never slept in a plane without taking toxic amounts of sleeping pills. And ditto the movies- if they're good you're set for at least a few hours.
I do NOT reccommend getting sloshed on the plane, but if you do then realize that the altitude makes drinks more potent. So take it easy. But getting drunk on a plane is terrible, you are jetlagged and hungover and it eats the first two days of your trip. Just dont do it.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
Joker

On my last long flight, my iPod died about 20 minutes off the ground from Miami. So I continued to read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and it knocked me right out. Of course, the drinks in the airport bar and on the plane likely assisted, but hey...

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Old 05-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #15
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

all i know is that next time i fly, im wearing a leg cast or something cause i can't do coach... freakin cramped when your 6'3" and built like a water tanker...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #16
Joker

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJake@May 8 2006, 08:38 PM
all i know is that next time i fly, im wearing a leg cast or something cause i can't do coach... freakin cramped when your 6'3" and built like a hot water heater...
[snapback]119151[/snapback]
Fixed it for you... :D

Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 PM   #17
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Depending on the airline, free alcoholic drinks make the time much more pleasant. The movies and TV they offer does make the time pass, but it almost makes me nostalgic for the days when there nothing else to occupy yourself with beyond your immediate surroundings and your own creativity.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #18
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulation@May 9 2006, 12:48 AM
Depending on the airline, free alcoholic drinks make the time much more pleasant. The movies and TV they offer does make the time pass, but it almost makes me nostalgic for the days when there nothing else to occupy yourself with beyond your immediate surroundings and your own creativity.
[snapback]119209[/snapback]

Jake you sound like a cranky old man.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

Old 05-09-2006, 12:01 AM   #19
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Back in my day all we had were black and white Gameboys, and you had to have the overhead light on to see the screen and the tiny little blocks moving around. But we liked it like that dagnabit
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:08 AM   #20
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

hhehe. But these are your days.

That thought kind of bugs me. These are my days so Im sitting on my ass reading travel websites...