Well, my bags are packed - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-04-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Degrassi

Send a message via MSN to Degrassi

hey guys.

I'm hoping someone can give me a sorely needed kick in the ass.

I'm a Candian, and have I've been living and working in London England for the past 8 months. In that time I've met some amazing people - and now I'm not sure I want to go! The bar I work at has begged me to stay, even offered to cover the cost of my (already booked) plane ticket. I'd have a place to stay, a job with as many/few hours as I want, and I'd get to stay... I hate goodbyes. I said bye to one guy yesterday, because he's going away on vacation and I almost cried all over him. The friends that I've met here have been unbelieveable.. I usually have a lot of aquaintences, but not so many super close friends. This is one of the first places I've felt like I fit in effortlessly, and can fully be myself.

I'm planning to come back to visit for a couple of weeks in August, and then in November before I go home.. and then again in April for the London Marathon, but I know things won't be the same. How can they be? New stories happen, new people show up.. what if I have nothing to say to my old friends? What if they've replaced me? I'm scared of losing them. of losing this I don't know how i'm gonna say goodbye.

But my bags are packed, TPunkers. I've wanted to do this since before I knew what backpacking was. I cant push my trip back any more. I'm only delaying the inevitible by staying. I came here to travel - to see midsummers nights in Sweden and Oktoberfest in Germany. I came to see Seville and Talinn and Israel. I came to take pictures of everything, and meet new people, and learn more than I ever thought possible. I came for adventure.

...but I'm really, really dreading the goodbyes.

Do I stay? See London in the summer and sleep on my friend's couch and put it off a while? How do I say it? How do I get on that flight, knowing I can never fully come home?

Thanks, y'all.

So far (in order) - Canada, USA, Israel, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Holland, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovenia, Croatia, Slovenia, Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey, S.Korea, Thailand, Morocco
Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:02 AM   #2
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

get your arse down to whever you have to go to say them goodbye's!

You will have such an amzing time on your travels...you really are going through the rest of europe at the best time before all the other hoardes of travellers get to the places you want to go

it's probably just a bit of nerves

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:06 AM   #3
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@May 4 2006, 05:02 AM
get your arse down to whever you have to go to say them goodbye's!

You will have such an amzing time on your travels...you really are going through the rest of europe at the best time before all the other hoardes of travellers get to the places you want to go

it's probably just a bit of nerves
[snapback]117664[/snapback]
I wish it were nerves, but I don't really think it is. I'm already halfway around the world, here in England. Shouldn't that have been the hard part? I just... hate goodbyes.

I've always felt like a wee bit of an outsider in my life... I can never just stick to one group of friends, I always have that chronic need to bounce around from here to there. I guess it's easier to do that at home because I know everything else is still there, waiting for me. If that makes any sense.

this leaving feels a lot more permanent, and I'm scared that once I go, I'll never fully be able to come back.

Don't get me wrong.. I know I need to go.. it's just making me kind of sad.
So far (in order) - Canada, USA, Israel, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Holland, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovenia, Croatia, Slovenia, Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey, S.Korea, Thailand, Morocco
Old 05-04-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

ok well how about a compromise, the guys that were gonna pay for your ticket why not get them to pay for a ticket and meet you in one of the destinations in Europe

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Well... It does seem like they absolutely love you there in London... so it's more than likely that they will be thrilled to have you back once your travels finnish. I think that you should get out of London and see whatever there is to see out there in the rest of Europe. After all... if you really hate it (which I highly doubt) you know you have a couch and a job in London waiting for you (seriously, how many people can say the same?).

Think of all the things that made you leave Canada in the first place... I say go to Sweden!! (can you imagine meeting a Swedish girl and chatting all night long and have the sun never go down?? [ok, so I'm a girl and I dont know what all the fuzz is with guys and Swedish girls... I'm just trying to get your butt moving through Europe!!]). Go to Sapin and learn Spanish, go to Israel, it'll blow your mind away!! And take all those pictures you always wanted to take.

And then go back to London, and show your friends what your trip was all about. How could you have nothing to say after all that travelling??? I'm a military kid... I know firsthands that farewels are a bitch, but this time you get the chance to meet them again!! (And then go back for the Marathon?? You lucky bastard :greenguy: )
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Go away!!!!!

Seriously, goodbyes are shitty, but all the new "hellos" well soooo make up for it! You'll carry on your journey, meet a whole bunch of new people, and sure... when it comes to saying goodbye to the new people you meet, that'll be horrible too. But you will have created a base for you in various countries all over Europe! In the future, you'll have some wonderful people you can go back to all over again!

Sometimes it's good to have a break from the people you've gotten to know. Just imagine getting back to London after you've done the rest of your trip and being able to tell all your old friends all about it!

And as for "new stories happen, new people show up", of course they do! And that is part of the fun! New people show up... so make friends with them too! New stories happen... so join in the fun, listen to the stories and tell them all your's!

You obviously like London enough to know that you're going to go back there... if you like it that much, you'll still want to go back after the rest of your travels, and you'll probably love it even more!

Seriously, go for it. I reckon you'll kick yourself if you put off the rest of your trip.

By the way, good on you for wanting to do the marathon! I've always said I'll try and do the marathon before I'm 30. I have 9 years to train, hahaha.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:42 AM   #7
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Saying goodbye is the hardest thing ever. I'm the worst with goodbye's. I turn into a blubbering mess...(hopefully I'll kick that soon. ) But.....you just have to keep on moving. Your dream is/was to see so many different places and countries in Europe, to experience different cultures, meet new people..etc.

All these amazing friends who have walked into your life...will always be there in your heart.
Try focusing on the "glass is half full" perspective....for example: Just think how much they've touched your life, and how much you've touched their lives. They came into your life for a reason...as will thousands of other people through the course of your life. They've probably taught you things about yourself, life, the world...whatever..that you will never forget, and you've most definitely done the same for them.

Take what you've learned, the growth you've made personally...and keep going, keep learning from the people, keep opening your heart and caring about the people you meet....those rewards will far outweigh the loss you experience in saying goodbye.

My 2 cents anyway...

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Move it buddy! Yea, its hard to say goodbye, but you have other places to go and those experiences will be valuable too!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:22 AM   #9
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Being in the military and moving plenty (11 places in 12 years!) we get plenty of chances to say goodbye, and it doesn't get any easier with practice. But you don't grow if you don't take chances, and make changes, in your life. We have discovered that true friendships bloom, even when you don't see each other often - we just came back from a trip to Italy, where I saw a friend I've seen once in the past 16 years...it was like we'd seen each other the day before, no awkwardness, no guilt, just joy at seeing each other again, and catching up on all the (considerable) adventures since the previous visit... That's how it can be with your friends in London, if you have faith in them AND in yourself. The person they know and love (YOU!) was always going to be traveling on, it's part of who you are to them. But they took a risk in befriending you, knowing that you wouldn't always be in town with them. Honour that, and be true to who you really are, get back out on the road, send them postcards and email and when you go back to London, fill them in on your adventures. They'll be dying to hear all about it.

About a year ago, we had to move from Vilnius, a city with which we fell deeply in love. For me, it is the closest thing to feeling at home, since I left my real home (Vancouver) nearly 12 years ago. None of the people we'd met there were military, so they were unfamiliar with the whole "moving on" thing, and it was really tough to leave. Instead of saying something so definite as "goodbye", we chose to say, "Iki!", Lithuanian for "until", and an abbreviation of "Iki pasimatymo" - "Until the next time we see each other."

So go round to all your friends, and give them the most heartfelt "Iki!" they've ever heard.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
expatben
lover of Germany

Goodbyes can be hard but you owe it to yourself to see more that is, I assume why you left Canada and planned to go around Europe? You can always keep in touch with your English friends and if things don't work out comr back?

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
GoKrazy
TPunk Camping Addict

tumblezweedz is right. Don't think of this as a "goodbye", but as a "see ya later". It's the same in Polish, we say "Do zobaczenia" which roughly translates to "Till next time I see you" and it implies that there WILL in fact be a next time.

Secondly, think back to when you were about to go to England. I bet you didn't want to leave home and you were thinking that you were gonna miss you friends at home like crazy. You got through it, you made the journey, met tons of cool people and you survived! You'll do that again, I'm sure. As for your friends - they will remain your friends. Not to mention that this way you'll have an extra excuse to send them a post card from _______ and amaze them with where you are now. Besides - you will return to see them in the future.

So get a grip and start getting excited about the journey you are about to go on instead of moping around and missing your friends even before you left for good!
Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #12
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

What they all said. You'll be back, but with many, many stories.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #13
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Get a move on, buddy.

If ya don't, we'll all track down cheap tickets to the UK and kick your ass. Real hard-like.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #14
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

nothing good ever comes out of trying to hang on to things. this life moves and you either move with it of get swept under. i'm always missing people i've gotten really close to and places and times that were really great. i could never imagine things being better... but i discovered new places, new experinces and new people that were amazing as well. you never know what's out there...isn't that the mentallity of a true nomad.

and hey, if you go on this trip...make sure you enjoy it. don't lament what's behind you...you'll just spend your life missing out on so many things by doing that.

good luck! and have fun...."the world is your oyster!"

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

I know how you feel. I was in the same position last year, when in June after living in London for 5 months, it came time to hit the road and travel. I thought "Im having such a good time here, the weather is getting nice finally, and Im making money, why should I go?." But it simply had to be done, and I knew that.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #16
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

I know how you feel, too. I was there a year ago. But I had to leave, I had to get things in order here. I had a great group of friends, and it killed me to leave.

On the bright side- a year later I still talk to most of them on a regular basis, and I know our paths will cross again. My boyfriend was one of the people; we're even closer than we were in London, and I just recently got back from visiting him in Australia. Msn is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

But I know how you feel. I left and would get pics by email and whatnot and it would kind of tug at me and I would feel like I should be there. It hurts.

cant wait til I move back to london.... I miss her...
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 AM   #17
Wibbs
Members

Looks like we are both in the same situation except i have been here for 2 YEARS! So just imagine how hard it would be for me! I completely understand where you are coming from, I came over from Aus to experience London and Europe and while I have been here I have met and still living with the best group of people you can ask for and it will be hard for me to say goodbye to them also. BUT I know that I cant keep on staying in London as I did come for other reasons and that is to see as much of Europe that I can while I can freely do it easily from here.

I am trying to put it on the back burner but I know that I will have to say goodbye to everyone here at the end of the month, but you have made great friends who you can stay in contact with and also see again! As for me the only time I will get to see them again is when I come back to Lond to fly out to Aus
Wibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:28 AM   #18
Degrassi

Thanks, you guys. I needed to hear all that...

I said goodbye to one bloke (aw, see how Brit I am?) from my bar and we both got a bit teary eyed. I guess that's when it hit me how hard it was gonna be to leave all this behind.

I love the concept of "see ya later" (in multiple different languages, too!), and am gonna try to hold on to that. This is goodnight, but not goodbye...

It's true, too, in that things are gonna change regardless, and coming back to find that tre new people and new stories wouldn't be as bad as I think it will. I'll have new stories too.. and this is my dream, damnit. I'd be a loser if I didn't follow that.

I've decided to compromise a bit. Instead of travelling the UK for a month in August, I've asked if I can come back here to work. My boss said yeah... so if I'm still missing it this much, at least I'll have something to look forward to. I know I won't be, though, once I get out of here and start seeing the world... I might not even take him up on his offer and decide see the UK instead. I'll see how i feel a the time. I can always come back to visit.

Visit...can you ever fully go home again?

(and I'm a girl, so Swedish girls don't really do it for me. But yeah, I see your point... kickass all-night chats with some of the coolest people you can ever hope t meet)

How sweet is this: For my going away party, my boss gave everyone from work the night off (I work at a chain bar so we can get staff from other bars in to cover our shifts). We're starting out with ultimate frisbee in the park, and then having a BBQ somewhere, and then off to spend (get this!) 500 quid in gift vouchers we won for being the top selling bar in our chain for April! My flight leaves at 6 am from Stansted on Tuesday morning, and I'm gonna party right up till the end. What a sendoff... (I wonder if I can talk them in to coming all the way to the airport?!)

Old 05-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #19
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Degrassi@May 6 2006, 06:28 AM
and I'm a girl, so Swedish girls don't really do it for me.
[snapback]118298[/snapback]
niiiice one florencia!!! I THOUGHT with a name like Degrassi you had to be a girl, I mean I dont really know of any guys that would watch the show, but I didn't bother to check your profile...I was actualy tempted to defend you on that one but then had to run *sorry*

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #20
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

OMG!!! hahahaha I'm so sorry. we didnt get that show here... (I just googled it up) Hehe, oh well...

And just so you know, we girls hget the good stuff too... Scandanivian guys are G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!! Tall, blond, lovely accent...
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote